User Deferred Error Message

Guest jmberry

Guest jmberry

I've inherited troubleshooting our company's Retrospect backup system and have my first question. Our Xserve is running Retrospect version 6.1.230 and the log shows that one of the user clients is deferring the backup when she is doing no such thing. That machine is a PC running Windows Vista with Retrospect Client version 7.6. It doesn't appear that this computer has ever been backed up. How do I get Retrospect to back this computer up? Thanks, Jim

Guest jmberry

I applied your fix, but now seem to have another problem. I can see the user's machine under "client config"and all appears okay, but still isn't getting backed up. I then clicked on "add by address" and it appears that this machine shares the same IP address with a mac with OS10 on our network. I then corrected the mac's IP address and thought all would work okay, but it isn't. Somehow Retrospect reverts the mac machine back to the same IP address as the windows Vista machine. How can I get things working right? Jim

I applied your fix, but now seem to have another problem. I can see the user's machine under "client config"and all appears okay, but still isn't getting backed up. I then clicked on "add by address" and it appears that this machine shares the same IP address with a mac with OS10 on our network. I then corrected the mac's IP address and thought all would work okay, but it isn't. Somehow Retrospect reverts the mac machine back to the same IP address as the windows Vista machine. How can I get things working right? Jim

Do you have static IP addresses or do you run DHCP?

If you have static IP addresses, make sure the computers have their own address. Restart the client(s) for good measure. Then forget the client from the Retrospect server and add it again.

If you have DHCP, you can't add clients by address, since the address will change. Not really sure what to do here, since you can't have the same address on two machines. I guess one is using a static IP from inside the DHCP range.

Guest jmberry

Do you have static IP addresses or do you run DHCP?

If you have static IP addresses, make sure the computers have their own address. Restart the client(s) for good measure. Then forget the client from the Retrospect server and add it again.

If you have DHCP, you can't add clients by address, since the address will change. Not really sure what to do here, since you can't have the same address on two machines. I guess one is using a static IP from inside the DHCP range.

One machine had a static IP and the other did not. It appears all our machines have static IP addresses so I changed the oddball to a static one. I have restarted both machines and am awaiting the outcome. Thanks, Jim

Guest jmberry

I resolved the issue. After I fixed the IP addresses I then found both machines were associated with a missing catalog file. I was able to "forget" that file and choose the proper catalog file and now they've both been backed up. Thanks.