Automated Grooming Fails With Damaged Catalog

BHIAdmin

Hi,

After updating to v. 9 (1 server with 15 clients) I find that 100% of my automated grooms (those that run before a scheduled backup to make space) all fail with a damaged catalog. From my email reports:

Date: 12/6/2011

Grooming Backup Set Peter's Media Set B failed, error -2241 ( Catalog File invalid/damaged)

Date: 12/6/2011

Grooming Backup Set Bob's Media Set A failed, error -2241 ( Catalog File invalid/damaged)

Date: 12/12/2011

Grooming Backup Set Mail Media Set B failed, error -2241 ( Catalog File invalid/damaged)

So far so not good. Every time I had to rebuild the catalogs and baby-sit a full backup. Can't wait to do it for the rest of my clients.

Any ideas on the cause, or a workaround (other than rebuilding the remaining sets before they are groomed)? Regularly scheduled scripts can still access the sets and backup, before the attempted grooming.

Larry

Guest Steve Maser

If the catalog file is damaged -- you can't groom it -- it's that simple.

As to the *cause* of why they got damaged? Could be for any number of reasons, but the most likely reason would be that some bad action happened while the catalog file was being modified (power outage? crash? a "Force quit/restart" of the engine machine?)

I don't believe there's any other workaround short of a catalog rebuild. If the rebuild *fails*, then the problem is with the media set files and you'd probably have to start over with a new media set.

If it were me, I wouldn't back up to that media set any more until I could verify that a successful catalog rebuild worked.

As to the *cause* of why they got damaged? Could be for any number of reasons, but the most likely reason would be that some bad action happened while the catalog file was being modified (power outage? crash? a "Force quit/restart" of the engine machine?)

The previous backup to each media set worked fine, though. No interrupted backups. Wouldn't the catalog corruption be a problem then, or is it only during a grooming that the whole catalog is utilized/accessed?

Rebuilds have all worked, so far.

What about running repair on all my catalogs now, before any potential grooming? Might this fix the problem, or do you think a full rebuild is the way to go?

It just sucks when I find out the scheduled backups failed because unscheduled, but necessary grooming.

Larry