Engine Prevents Shutdown

aiharris

I had the same problem for several days. Even trying to stop the Retrospect engine from the System Preference failed. The only way I could get the computer to gracefully restart/shutdown was to force the process to quit. I would always try to first use the Retrospect system preference to quit the Retrospect engine.

After several days the Retrospect 9 system preference suddenly started working to start AND stop the Retrospect 9 engine. I no longer had to force quit the Retrospect 9 engine and a graceful restart/shutdown wasn't held-up by the Retrospect 9 engine. Unfortunately I can't attribute the solution to a particular action.

Edited by Sam Venning

I had the same problem for several days. Even trying to stop the Retrospect engine from the System Preference failed. The only way I could get the computer to gracefully restart/shutdown was to force the process to quit. I would always try to first use the Retrospect system preference to quit the Retrospect engine.

After several days the Retrospect 9 system preference suddenly started working to start AND stop the Retrospect 9 engine. I no longer had to force quit the Retrospect 9 engine and a graceful restart/shutdown wasn't held-up by the Retrospect 9 engine. Unfortunately I can't attribute the solution to a particular action.

Check "Activity Monitor" and see if the retroengine process is causing the processor to spike 100%+

I noticed that when the Retrospect admin console is not responding, you can usually find the retroengine process spiking the processor. The easy fix is to quit the process in Activity Monitor. Also, our MacMini server takes 5-12 to restart on its own, and its because of Retro. Just be patient and give it 20min to see if your server does indeed restart.