Parsing Retrospect Logs

I'm trying to set up automated monitoring for Retrospect. Has anyone done this before? The Retrospect log format is difficult to parse, I'm looking for some help.

It would be a huge time saver if there was some sort of mechanism from Retrospect to notify on events (like the Event Handler from Retrospect 6) but including all the data for an event that is meant to be written into the log file.

Otherwise, could anyone (from Retrospect or otherwise) detail the log event classes/types and their formats so I don't have reverse-engineer it all?

I'm trying to set up automated monitoring for Retrospect. Has anyone done this before? The Retrospect log format is difficult to parse, I'm looking for some help.

It would be a huge time saver if there was some sort of mechanism from Retrospect to notify on events (like the Event Handler from Retrospect 6) but including all the data for an event that is meant to be written into the log file.

Otherwise, could anyone (from Retrospect or otherwise) detail the log event classes/types and their formats so I don't have reverse-engineer it all?

Hi,

I asked the same question a few weeks ago. It prompted me to write a log parser in Python which I've just made public (see http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/78298-remotely-viewing-logsreports/page__view__findpost__p__394126). If you check the readme file, it has tips on how to set up automated summary emails. With a little tweaking, you could set up individual emails per (failed) job. Or you could do some funky stuff and send updates to some networked client program!

I do not know all the log event classes and types so my script is likely missing some of these at present. Hopefully what is there is of use to you though. I find it very useful to monitor failures from home.

I've also been pointed by another forum user to this tool made by Paul Fabris:

Retro8LogAnalyser: A free Filemaker 10 based log analysis program for Retrospect 8 Log Data.

This parses the log file much more than my script and logs detailed information to an SQL database. My script could probably be simplified if I changed it to interface with a database created by Retro8LogAnalyser.

• 2 weeks later...

Paul's FM database is a fantastic work of art, something he obviously spent a lot of time working on (and debugging). It's valuable not only for parsing this log; I'm especially happy to see the custom function he built (or found somewhere else) for allowing multiple ScriptParameters in a script (which he uses in his navigation buttons, for one).

It's a bit off topic for this forum, but here it is:

Function name: GetScriptParameter

Function paramater: Number

Let(

[

x = MiddleValues ( Substitute ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; "|" ; "¶" ) ; Number ; 1 );

y = Left(x; Length(x)-1)

];

Case(PatternCount ( Get ( ScriptParameter ) ; "|" );

y;

Get ( ScriptParameter )

)

)