How To Change Client Name In Retro 9?

jlbrown

I have a user whose MacBook Pro used to be another employee's.

When the original user had it, we used Retrospect (probably 8.x) on it (as a client). The computer was called "Jerry Miskiewicz's Computer".

The computer is now called "Sean Walshe's MacBook Pro" in Sharing. (It's a 10.6.8 box).

When I open the Retrospect Preference Pane and turn it on, the Client Name is "Jerry Miskiewicz's Computer".

I've delete the retroclient.state file. I've run the uninstaller AppleScript and reinstalled version 9 client.

Still can't get it to change the name. Or ask me for the client password.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

James.

I'm pretty sure you do that from the Retrospect server console. At least that's what you do in the Windows version.

Thanks Lennart. Not sure how. I can't use Rename because the server doesn't know about the client. I can't add it because I don't know what the password was originally.

James.

I'm pretty sure you do that from the Retrospect server console. At least that's what you do in the Windows version.

Also, when I try to add the client using the 'Add Source Directly...' button, I get an email notification saying:

Backup clients were incorrectly cloned:

known: AGWA-FXG8-8KYB-T82B (Jerry's Computer)

found: 192.168.1.45 (Jerry Miskiewicz’s Computer)

192.168.1.45 is his new computer. So it's recognising that there's already a source with that name.

James.

Also, when I try to add the client using the 'Add Source Directly...' button, I get an email notification saying:

Backup clients were incorrectly cloned:

known: AGWA-FXG8-8KYB-T82B (Jerry's Computer)

found: 192.168.1.45 (Jerry Miskiewicz’s Computer)

192.168.1.45 is his new computer. So it's recognising that there's already a source with that name.

James.

In Retrospect 8 I had to do it the following way. I wonder if it is still the same in Retro 9?

1. Remove the source from Retro Server.

2. Go to the client machine and uninstall Retrospect, make sure to restart.

3. After restart, rename the machine if so desired.

4. Reinstall Retrospect client.

BTW: After you reinstall the Retro client, you will have the opportunity to create the password that Retro asks for when adding sources.

5. Re-add back to the server from the Sources menu.

Let us know if that works.

Thanks

Edited by Macspt

• 2 weeks later...

In Retrospect 8 I had to do it the following way. I wonder if it is still the same in Retro 9?

1. Remove the source from Retro Server.

2. Go to the client machine and uninstall Retrospect, make sure to restart.

3. After restart, rename the machine if so desired.

4. Reinstall Retrospect client.

BTW: After you reinstall the Retro client, you will have the opportunity to create the password that Retro asks for when adding sources.

5. Re-add back to the server from the Sources menu.

Let us know if that works.

Thanks

Thanks Macspt. I think I did that and it didn't work. So I uninstalled Retro 9 using the AppleScript, deleted the Retrospect.state file, and deleted the entire Retrospect 6.1 folder. Then restarted and installed Retro 9 client and all worked fine, it asked me to set a password.

Thanks again,

James.

Thanks Macspt. I think I did that and it didn't work. So I uninstalled Retro 9 using the AppleScript, deleted the Retrospect.state file, and deleted the entire Retrospect 6.1 folder. Then restarted and installed Retro 9 client and all worked fine, it asked me to set a password.

Thanks again,

James.

That is good to hear James. So you definitely have to remove "ALL" Restrospect files when troubleshooting issues. Starting to sound like an Adobe product. ;)

I have never been able in the admin console to change a client name, I have had to do it the way I listed previously.

Edited by Macspt