Insixdays

Proactive Backup List Read Slowly

In Retrospect we have a lot of proactive backups. The problem is that instead of going through the list of possible backups rather quickly the polling will just sit at the top of the list for 10 min or more, then only poll 10 or 20 items in the list and then start over again. What can I do to get this moving through the entire list. We would like to upgrade but if this problem cannot be solved we will need to go to a different solution. I am hoping there are some settings or something I can use to change the polling speed, or even a registry hack.

Thanks!

How many proactive clients do you have?

How many of these are present a typical day, so they should get backed up?

How many proactive scripts do you have?

Using how many backup sets?

What are the "Polling" options for the proactive scripts?

What happens after 10-20 clients has been polled?

We have around 30 clients, 3 scripts and 3 backup sets. The polling restarts from the top as soon as a client finishes being backed up. Is that what happens for you?

(But, no, our polling restarts immediately. No 30 minutes idle here.)

How many proactive clients do you have? 300

How many of these are present a typical day, so they should get backed up? 150

How many proactive scripts do you have? 300

Using how many backup sets? 300

What are the "Polling" options for the proactive scripts? the default, 90 seconds, 5 min, 30 min.

What happens after 10-20 clients has been polled? It goes back to the top, and waits, and sometimes starts down right away. Sometimes it goes more than 10-20 clients and eventually at some point get through the whole list but that might not happen until night time.

We have 8 execution units.

We have around 30 clients, 3 scripts and 3 backup sets. The polling restarts from the top as soon as a client finishes being backed up. Is that what happens for you?

(But, no, our polling restarts immediately. No 30 minutes idle here.) So do you have polling set to zero?

What do you do when you want to delete a persons files, just go into the various sessions for that user?

Thanks for your help!

How many proactive scripts do you have? 300

Using how many backup sets? 300

Why do you have so many?

What happens after 10-20 clients has been polled? It goes back to the top, and waits, and sometimes starts down right away. Sometimes it goes more than 10-20 clients and eventually at some point get through the whole list but that might not happen until night time.

What I really meant was: What triggers this? Is it when all 8 execution units are filled? Or what?

So do you have polling set to zero?

No, the default, just like you.

What do you do when you want to delete a persons files, just go into the various sessions for that user?

We keep the last backup on a special set of tapes. Then we delete the snapshots for that user.

I would recommend dividing the clients into 8 groups, one for each execution unit. Clients with similar sets of files, such as the same department, or maybe the same version of the OS, goes into the same group. Retrospect backs up identical files only once for each backup set, regardless of the source (client). That would reduce the size of your backup sets.

Edited by Lennart Thelander

I'm also going to make a guess: The 30 minutes delay is when Retrospect check which of all the 300 backup sets are available.

What does the "status" say in the "proactive" pane of the "Activity monitor" window when you launch Retrospect (or when proactive backup starts for the day)?

Why do you have so many?

This is how it was setup initially, with a one to one correspondence between the client, backup set and proactive script.

What I really meant was: What triggers this? Is it when all 8 execution units are filled? Or what?

I don't really know what triggers it but the problem is not that all 8 execution units are busy.

No, the default, just like you.

We keep the last backup on a special set of tapes. Then we delete the snapshots for that user.

I would recommend dividing the clients into 8 groups, one for each execution unit. Clients with similar sets of files, such as the same department, or maybe the same version of the OS, goes into the same group. Retrospect backs up identical files only once for each backup set, regardless of the source (client). That would reduce the size of your backup sets.

We don't backup the OS so there should be limited duplication. In any case we can try it as you suggest.

I'm also going to make a guess: The 30 minutes delay is when Retrospect check which of all the 300 backup sets are available.

What does the "status" say in the "proactive" pane of the "Activity monitor" window when you launch Retrospect (or when proactive backup starts for the day)?

I don't have an answer for this just yet, but I do know the Activity Monitor shows an Action: status of "Checking media" a lot and often stays on one item while it says "Checking media."