I Think This Software Is The Problem

cybor462

I do not want to rant but I have been blaming my system for all the trouble but it is becoming clear its retrospect. I bought this backup software and bought upgrades and backed up my system for years. I have been lucky and never needed to restore until just the other day. Now my trouble begins. The restore cd's wont work so I reinstall the entire OS and go thru the hours of updates. Have to reinstall retrospect and update it. Finally have a good OS and try to do a backup so if there is any trouble I just have to restore.......well no such luck. Had 1017 errors, searched and repaired those after days of work.....now I backup which took 6 hours and when I got up this morning it was done but with 8000 errors!

This is a new clean OS and 8000 errors.

I went and got a totally free backup software and ran a backup and guess what it worked and it restored 100%. No 1017 errors or 8000 other errors.

Now I have a retrospect backup I have to restore and I hope someone here can help me because I will lose it all if I an unable to get it to restore. It is clear retrospect is the main problem but I am willing to do what it takes to get this restored.

My problem now is when I try to restore I keep getting 1017 error. Which then prevents a good restore. I did fix VSS in Windows as per many posts from those having the exact same trouble I am. The writers show stable but I still get the 1017.

Can anyone help?

Running Windows XP Media Center 2005 on a HP Pavilion A1330n with AMD Athlon 3800+ 64 processor. 2 gigs ram backing up to an external 1.5 tb drive or a 500 gb external.

Have a totally clean WIndows install updated to SP3 and clean install of retrospect 7.6. No anti virus installed right now.

Trying to restore what appeared to be a clean backup from last month. it is on an external WD 1.5 tb drive.

The drive is fine because I just backed up the system to it using Macrium Free Backup and it restored perfectly.

Can anyone help me to restore the retrospect backup?

Thanks

This is the fourth thread you start about the same problem.

This is just a user-to-user discussion and no user (apparently) knows how to help you.

Buy a "support incident" and contact Retrospect support. The last time I checked it was just US $70 or so. It will be refunded if it is indeed a bug with the software.

This is the fourth thread you start about the same problem.

This is just a user-to-user discussion and no user (apparently) knows how to help you.

Buy a "support incident" and contact Retrospect support. The last time I checked it was just US $70 or so. It will be refunded if it is indeed a bug with the software.

Sorry but I do not have $70 to toss right now. I am not working and funds are real tight. I understand what this forum is and I appreciate all the help I get. My issues with the backup keep taking a new direction and when the issues become focused as I find them I post a specific thread about the issue. I agree they may all be linked but as I spend countless hours researching I find I am getting to the core of the problem.

If no one here can help I truly understand.

If the other threads are too much I will delete them. I know many here are very skilled and I hope one can offer a solution. I appreciate your help and did not mean to offend you. I just need to get this restored and I do not know of any other forum since Dantz no longer owns Retrospect.

I will not post another thread. I will wait to see if anyone has any ideas.

There are hundreds of posts on the web with this exact same problem. I hoped someone here might know. Most of the posts I have found were on the Dantz or EMC forums which are no longer active. I do not know where else to turn. If you happen to know of another forum I can try please suggest it.

Thanks

dude, post some of the errors.

Sorry

here are a few

cant use open file backup for C:\ error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

thousands of these all diff file names I will list one but all the same type of error

File C:\DRWINNT.TMP\Prefetch\ALG.exe-329B77CA.pf": cant read error -1101 (file/directory not found)

one of these

File C:\DRWINNT.TMP\Temp\Perflib_Perfdata_7a4.dat cant read error error -1020 (sharing violation)

a bunch of these

they have all drive C:\DRWINNT.TMP\inf\different names.pnf\ different modify date/time (set 11/9/2011 dif times vol 11/10/2011 dif times

one of these

error -102 (trouble communicating)

I can get any info you need. I appreciate your help

It would be useful to do a pastebin of your entire log, or at least the parts that describe your errors.

-102 trouble communicating means that retrospect lost connection to the machine or drive. This can be caused by ALL KINDS of stuff including networking problems, a failing drive, power management on the client, etc etc etc.

Insufficient permissions may be due to the user on the client under which retrospect is running not having permissions to read a file. That drrwin.tmp thing has been rehashed a ton on the old forums: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+site:forums.dantz.com+DRWINNT.TMP

It would be useful to do a pastebin of your entire log, or at least the parts that describe your errors.

-102 trouble communicating means that retrospect lost connection to the machine or drive. This can be caused by ALL KINDS of stuff including networking problems, a failing drive, power management on the client, etc etc etc.

Insufficient permissions may be due to the user on the client under which retrospect is running not having permissions to read a file. That drrwin.tmp thing has been rehashed a ton on the old forums: https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+site:forums.dantz.com+DRWINNT.TMP

Thanks a ton for the .TMP info I had never restored a backup so these errors are all new to me. I did not see that as I was more worried with the permissions issue.

I will need to restore the OS again from the new backup I just ran with another BU program. I have been trying to restore this retrospect backup to retrieve all my software and data and each time I try no matter what I have tried to fix things it just keeps trashing everything.

Hardware is fine since the other backup software does not return any errors and does a good restore. Has to be Retro and XP that are having issues.

I will try to get a cut and paste for you tonight. I appreciate all your help.

Please if the answers end up being old news for you please remember since I never had an issue because I never needed to do a restore until now, these are all new to me. I have searched for days and have spent countless hours trying to find a solution and I am sure I have not found the right places to look yet.

Thanks again I will get the latest log up here for you asap.

PS... I am not very skilled with IT type of work. I am not stupid and after researching I generally get a decent handle on it with help such as this forum.

I feel one issue is XP VSS. Seems that has caused more issues with retro than any I have read. I have tried all the fixes I can find but it did not seem to make a difference with the restore. The VSS are showing stable now. They reported the well known error when I first started.

Maybe that info may be of use.

Thanks

Edited by cybor462

I just tried a different approach and got far less errors. My errors this time were because not all files were being restored and I guess their keys were still in the registry. The backup I tried to restore is 2 months old and should be clean. I am waiting for the backup to finish of the new OS and will send the error log then.

Just wanted to throw something out here.

This last time I used ver 7.5 and did not update to 7.6 and I saw far less errors.

The backup seemed to complete ok but when I go to boot up this is what happens. This has been the case right along.

I get an error saying on the boot up when it just starts to load off the hard drive

Windows could not start because of a computer disk/hardware config problem. Could not read from the selected boot path/disk hardware Please check the Windows Doc about hardware disk config and your hardware reference manual for additional info.

I have the restore set to restore it to C:\ the drive it backed up. Not sure what is wrong.

Sorry cant capture this as it does not boot it just hangs at that point. I have received this every time I tried to reboot after retrospect restores. I then either run the disaster cd or now restore the new backup made today on different software and all is well.

Does this change anything? Maybe just a stupid directory thing that can be fixed.

Thanks for your help. I will post the log when this restore is done as long as it is still there.

I was forced to do a total OS install again. Seems that retrospect has been corrupting the boot log. Win XP is no saint either as it has tossed me many issues too. I just ran DBAN and wanted to be sure I was starting fresh. Hard drive is 100% but by wiping it clean it then was open to all Win XP flaws that had been fixed by me through the years. Now I have them all to deal with and yes I still do not have a good restore.

Its a good thing I am not working right now (not for the pocketbook) but allowing me all this time to get this working.

BTW in case there is a question I have ben using my MAC to research the web and come here since the PC is just not happening yet.

I will post a log when I get the OS back on and run retro again. Of course the VSS is tossing me errors with each new install. Not sure why I am having all this trouble.

The latest OS install moved the drive order. Changed my boot drive to i and setup the memory card readers c-h. That is why I am doing all this again. I am told that is a bug in XP. I must have buggiest software around

cross my fingers I have what seems to be a good restore. The bootlog (boot.ini) kept getting scrambled after retrospect did the restore. I finally got smart and went in with Restore console and fixed it. When Windows booted I fixed the file to show the correct boot line and so far so good. As long as I can keep this virus free I should be ok.

I want to thank everyone here for their help.

• 2 months later...

I have also been having problems with the 1017 error. But last week when I had to change hdd in one of my backup sets and create a new one the error disappear. I then, last evening, erased another backup set witch I have had problems with (erased the catalog file, "*.rbc" and the data files, "*.rdb") and then the backup set in the software. I then recreated the set and now it's running without problems.

My thought is that the *.rbc file gets corrupt after a while. For me it's not a big problem since I reset my backup sets every second week. But this is just a thought and you are more than welcome to try it, so we can see if it's really a solution.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I think you mean robin? He is still with the company I believe. It looks like these forums are not getting as much attentions as they used to though...

And yes I have problems all the time with corruption - both in the catalog files and the disk sets themselves.

• 1 month later...

I know this thread is a little old, but just in case anyone is still looking for a solution here I thought I would post something helpful. The error cybor462 saw after the full restore is not as scary as it sounds. It happens sometimes if the windows boot files don't get restored properly. I've only seen this issue with Win 7 and Win 2008 R2. After doing the full restore follow the steps in this MS KB to get the machine to boot again. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314477. That should be all you need to do.