In 9, Are Logs And Settings Now Separate?

swalker

Guest Steve Maser

I don't know if it'll work if you lock the file or not -- the time stamp still changes every so often when the .bak file is created, so I would guess that it might function, but your scheduled activities/scripts might not fire correctly if the file can't be updated accordingly.

Give it a shot on a test machine and report back what it does when you try to do that.

One of the developers stated in this forum last year that separating logs and settings was planned for an significant upgrade in the not-too-distant future.

Would like to quote it, but it seems to be lost and the Internet wayback machine seems not to have a copy.

This is the only "feature" I am really looking for.

Is it now stored separately from logs, etc?

I dare to say no. Just open a copy of config80.dat into text editor and you'll see a lot of log info.

So this means they still haven't separated this.

Just wondering what the "80" in config80.dat means. Can't be version related, because then they would have renamed it to config90.dat. ;)

Guest Steve Maser

It means that was the name they gave the file when Retrospect 8.0 was released. They just never recoded anything to change the name of that file. (There were lots of examples of .plist files changing/not changing the names when the company kept changing hands...) "config80.dat" has been the name of the configuration file since Retrospect 8.0 was beta-tested.

Disappointing. I really just wanted the product to work. For me, new features are just new things that can break. Adding the kitchen sink to a product is not the way to make it reliable. Certainly not how I design stuff. Any word from the developers when they might make this aspect more bullet-proof, or are they just running scared with marketing? I mean I wish them well, as it appears that maybe the product has been rescued from a series of inappropriate relationships by people who care, but my relationship with the product is still compromised.

Extract from Retrospect 9.0 Read Me gives me some hope:

... Over 250 bug fixes, including improvements to the media request process, >> a config file backup process that provides better protection against corruption << , and the elimination of certain spurious errors...

Anything more we should know about this?? Yes, I am a geek and am curious.

Guest Steve Maser

The only thing I've been able to tell from *observation* is that the config80.bak file -- is nowhere near updated as frequently as before.

If I look at my /lib/app support/retro folder right now...

Config80.dat is timestamped 12:35 p.m.

But the config80.bak file is timestamped 2:54 a.m. -- almost 10 hours ago. (I have 8 proactive scripts running continually -- but not backing up clients continually...)

My guess is they changed *when* the backup occurs as (maybe?) the act of generating the .bak file -- which was much more frequent with 8.2 -- was causing corruption to the .dat file if the system wasn't "idle" enough to do the .bak write?