Line 305 Invalid Error On Recovery Cd

Hi I have been using this software for several years and do not use it enough. I have been backing up to external hard drives and to date never needed to restore a backup.I just recovered from a trojan attack and I see the need to make a recovery cd for startup. I have done this in the past but have not recently.

My system is again clean so I completed my new backup again to an external hard drive and went and tried to make the cd. I have a HP pavillion with Athlon 64 3800+ processor running XP SP3. This has system install discs (8) and it also has a recovery partition on the hard drive. When Retro asks for the OS install disc it went and found the hd partition itself and then said the file would be too big to fit on a cd. It said to pick another OS disc. I then tried the supplied disc with the computer and it gave me the same error. I then chose a original Win XP disc I purchased for a system I built myself and that was accepted.

It completed and I decided to try it. When I booted from the cd it quit giving me a "line 305 invalid" error.

It took me several days and too many nail biting issues to get my system repaired. I would rather just format the hd and restore a backup using the restore cd next time to save all the time and grief. Is there help for this?

I am running Retro 7.6.123 driver and hotfix 7.6.2.101

Thanks

Edited by cybor462

As far as I know, you don't have to create a recovery CD.

Install a clean copy of Windows, the same version and service patch, updates etc as on the backup.

Then install the Retrospect client.

Perform a restore to the client, with the option "Restore an entire disk".

Reboot the client and you are done.

Edited by Lennart Thelander

Thanks for the help. I wanted the disc because I knew there would be many issues with the whole new OS thing. My computer is a HP and I have 8 install discs. I hoped to not have to start from scratch. The biggest issue I bought Retrospect in 2007 from EMC and I think it was ver 6.5 and then I upgraded to 7.5 then 7.6 which I have now. Since EMC sold this I do not know how to get my serial numbers. I never thought I would need it although I did have it somewhere. I moved last month and can't find anything. I found an old restore cd I made several years ago for this same computer and tried to start the process with it. It seemed to work and goes as far as looking for the data but the data is on an external drive and it does not show any external drives. If it would show the drive I am sure I could get it to work.

Any help with getting it to see the drive?

Worst case where would I get the serial number if I have to reinstall everything? Retro will need the ser# I am sure. I have the original 7.5 disc I bought as an upgrade from 6.5 There is no ser# on it just a barcode on the envelope.

I am stuck, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

In Retrospect, there is a sort of menu/toolbar to the left. Under "Configure", select "Licenses". There you can see your license numbers.

What is "it" that can't see the drive?

Can you see it under "My Computer"?

There is also some kind of disk manager program built into Windows, can that see the drive? Is it assigned a drive letter? (I forgot the name of the program and I'm on my Mac.)

In Retrospect, there is a sort of menu/toolbar to the left. Under "Configure", select "Licenses". There you can see your license numbers.

What is "it" that can't see the drive?

Can you see it under "My Computer"?

There is also some kind of disk manager program built into Windows, can that see the drive? Is it assigned a drive letter? (I forgot the name of the program and I'm on my Mac.)

I am using the cd and have booted off of that. It is the small dos shell and is just retrospect. It (retro) shows me all internal devices and memory card readers but no external drives. I cant go out to windows from this shell I can only exit retrospect which then reboots system.

I used this same external drive to perform the backup from within Windows but now that I am booting off the restore cd the external drive does not show up.

PS I did find the ser# from the orig version I bought 6.5 but I am not sure that will work if I have to reinstall 7.6

Edited by cybor462

I understand now. The Win XP disc you used as the base for the recovery CD doesn't contain any drivers for the interface card to your external hard drive.

While booted in Windows, can you copy the backup data off the external to a drive you can see when using the emergency disc? Or is it too much data?

The serial # from 6.5 will not work.

I understand now. The Win XP disc you used as the base for the recovery CD doesn't contain any drivers for the interface card to your external hard drive.

While booted in Windows, can you copy the backup data off the external to a drive you can see when using the emergency disc? Or is it too much data?

The serial # from 6.5 will not work.

Yes way too much took 5 hours to backup. Roughly 300gb

I checked and got the serial number for the last retro cd I bought which is 7.5. I think 7.6 was a free update if I can still get it.

I thought I had the virus cleaned but it was hiding on the restore partition after I cleaned the main system. It wiped me out.

Yes way too much took 5 hours to backup. Roughly 300gb

I checked and got the serial number for the last retro cd I bought which is 7.5. I think 7.6 was a free update if I can still get it.

I thought I had the virus cleaned but it was hiding on the restore partition after I cleaned the main system. It wiped me out.

Thats ok I just tried to use the restore discs that came with this computer and it says not for this pc and quits. Now I am really screwed. These are the right ones.

It keeps getting better and better