Retrospect, Inc. Assumes Development Of Retrospect® Backup And Recovery Software Products, Releases Retrospect 9 For Mac

Mayoff

Not sure what you're looking at. The disk image I downloaded (Retrospect-900319.dmg) has a creation date of October 31, 2011. And while the application folder inside was created on March 11 2009, it was modified on October 28 2011. Which all makes sense from a development standpoint.

Furthermore the Retrospect application package contains lproj folders for multiple languages (en, it, ja, ko, fr, es, pt, ru, zh), making the single install appropriate for all those languages. What did you download, and from where did you download it?

As per the post.

I submitted a support request

Was told to download from here:

http://www.retrospect.com/download/GZ11A9000C

The images there (there are discrete ones for Eng, Fr, etc.) are dated late August.

Well, each of those six links point to the same URL to download the same disk image, the same as I downloaded from the link I got back from the automated "Try" button on the retrospect.com website. Dated October 31, 2011.

There aren't different distribution packages for the different supported languages; it's an OS X thing.

(path on disk edited in image to retain internet privacy)

Edited by CallMeDave

I'm using a trial code for the multi-server version with a version of my 8.2 config80.dat file (not a completely clean install...)

So, the "On Demand Backup" is not adequately described in the addendum.

It appears to only work if you do it in this order:

1) *First* specific the location for on-demand backup in the Console Preferences (and check the box). Maybe restart the engine at this point?

2) *Then* add your retrospect 9 clients. If you already have them added before you check the on-demand preference box -- it won't work.

It took me a while to figure this out as the "addendum" PDF does not explicitly state this.

The on-demand restore worked without issue when I added a client as well (this is with an upgraded client, though, not a clean-install client...) I could restore what I backed up on-demand (however, there seems to be an update/refresh bug on the "History" tab -- you need to switch to the "Status" tab after you initiate the on-demand restore to see the actual restore process in action (or watch the icon in the menu bar.)

I did not have a problem with highlighting a pre made script, then clicking "Run" -- this put an activity in place as expected (and it ran as expected)

And my rules work as expected...

FWIW

I'll have to try the multi-server version to see if it's any better than the one backup server, 3 user version.

Oops, I can't because I already have discovered the problem with one version, unless I apply using a different name and/or email because the distribution doesn't send multiple logins to the same email address. So you have to either make up your mind in advance which version you want to try, wait until an old login code expires, or use multiple email addresses and sign up for different trials.

I'm using a trial code for the multi-server version with a version of my 8.2 config80.dat file (not a completely clean install...)

So, the "On Demand Backup" is not adequately described in the addendum.

It appears to only work if you do it in this order:

1) *First* specific the location for on-demand backup in the Console Preferences (and check the box). Maybe restart the engine at this point?

2) *Then* add your retrospect 9 clients. If you already have them added before you check the on-demand preference box -- it won't work.

It took me a while to figure this out as the "addendum" PDF does not explicitly state this.

The on-demand restore worked without issue when I added a client as well (this is with an upgraded client, though, not a clean-install client...) I could restore what I backed up on-demand (however, there seems to be an update/refresh bug on the "History" tab -- you need to switch to the "Status" tab after you initiate the on-demand restore to see the actual restore process in action (or watch the icon in the menu bar.)

I did not have a problem with highlighting a pre made script, then clicking "Run" -- this put an activity in place as expected (and it ran as expected)

FWIW

While the desktop trial is for 3 users, the desktop purchase includes 5 users. If you need to test more clients, please download the server edition trials.

Also keep in mind that Retrospect Inc is not a "startup" as you describe. Retrospect as a product has been in existence for 25 years or so and has a well established customer base. In addition, the employees for Retrospect Inc have been working on this product from between 5 and almost 25 years. I have 17+ years committed myself

Robin,

Going over your answer in coordination to the other postings here...

2. So what version of test product would be an actual test of Backup Server with 5 users (or more)? You are saying that testing one product and then buying another (e.g., Backup Server- a downgraded version?) would give me everything in Backup Server version with the two (total of 5) users?? Seems a bit weird...
  3. Next question. Of the list of inadequate performance issues of Retro 8 (the fix-me list), is there a summary from your team (maybe as a KB) of what has been fixed from the list submitted by users and what hasn't, so I can test against that?
  4. Last question. Since we are at the first release version testing, this new version of Retro 9, what of the findings of new issues with this software? Everybody will have their own Go/No-go list of those. Who is compiling the new 'fix-me V9 list? and where is that going to be kept? I'm assuming virtually all of the old fix-me list items have been fixed. So far, several of those I specially know about aren't. It seems that the old list hasn't been fully vetted (yet??).

Henry

1) If you need to test over 3 clients then download the multiserver trial

2) Retrospect 9 release notes are at: http://rovicorp.force.com/PublicKB1/articles/en_US/Retrospect_Article/Retrospect-9-for-Mac-Release-Notes?retURL=%2Fapex%2FknowledgeSearch%3Ft%3DRetrospect_Article__kav%26k%3Drelease%2Bnotes%26c%3DRoxio_Retrospect_Mac%26lang%3Den_US&popup=false&lang=en_US

3) If you encounter a problem with the product please open a support ticket with technical support. You can post it in the forum, but we may not directly see the post.

Robin

• What runs:
  • Retro Engine, clean install- removed old Retro 8 install from the new installer/uninstaller.
  • Retro Application
  • Three Users/Clients which includes the Server machine, installed new Client into System Prefs, uninstalling old client software. More can be added with the Trial of the Unlimited Server/Client version for Mac.

• What doesn't run/work:
  • More than three Clients
  • Client On Demand Backup (and Restore???)
  • Downloading Multi-server (once Backup has been downloaded)
  • Premade script issues a command "Run" from the menu. Acts like it runs (icon animation plays actions), but no run. This is a problem that existed in Retro 8. This is caused by the client not existing. However no warning is given of any failure.
  • Clients cannot be added via "Multi-cast".

• What's up with Retro features that don't work? Not working in the trial version:
  • Scripting Rules.
  • On Demand Backup (roundly touted as a feature).
  • Add client as a source, Multi-cast. Cannot find the server to add it as source and do a backup of it. Error is -507, incorrect password. Other issues with installing and recognizing clients/sources have been noted. Particularly finding a client with it's Firewall turned on in 10.6.8 and 10.7.x. This is a problem that existed in Retro 8.

Adding to the list...

I'm

Steve,

The issue I had seems completely related to Client install. I saw Dave Maser's post about logging in clients. You can find it on your own here in the forums, but the bottom line is the local server also needs to be logged in. That's why I was not able to "Run" a back up- there was no real client there, just the local media, and only copies can be made of raw media, as it's not a client. This 'Client' cannot be logged in apparently.

Most things seem to work OK except that, a warning indicator (that don't remember from Retro 8) and a couple of holdover issues from Retro 8 mentioned in a separate post. You can see my post on the separate issues here, on this link to separate thread

So tried to add the local machine as a client. However get a -507 error and the password of the local machine cannot be added. Any idea of a way around this? Tried doing the reboot that Dave suggests after putting in the preference to set up the backup, current file name of the local client. NG on that.

Started a new topic on this issue. Comment here or there on it if you have any suggestions. At this point I'm just playing as my existing backup plan is totally not on Retro and it won't be unless and until every one of the Retro 8 issues that affected me before has been resolved, not to mention the new ones that always come up with unproven updates. I will be watching and comparing my experience with those of the knowledgeable others like you who care to post about them.

Regards, and thanks!

Henry

the bottom line is the local server also needs to be logged in

Are you saying you think the Retrospect OS X Client software should be installed on the Retrospect Engine host Mac?

Because that would be wrong.

The Engine host machine does not need the Retrospect client software in order to interact with the Retrospect Engine. So unless you are doing secondary backup of the Engine host machine from an _additional_ Engine on your network, it shouldn't be installed at all.

What doesn't run/work:

Downloading Multi-server (once Backup has been downloaded)

What is this? You are "reporting" that the automated trial website won't send multiple links/licenses to the same email address?

And you see this as some sort of problem with, well, with anything?

I would think any backup administrator who needs to test a package as complex (and expensive) as Retrospect wouldn't have any problem creating/using multiple email addresses when presented with this sort of issue.

Premade script issues a command "Run" from the menu.

Huh?

Clients cannot be added via "Multi-cast".

Yes, they can.

Oh, and would you please change your Screen Capture file type to anything other then PDF; if you save them as PNG or JPG you can embed them in your posts, doing away with the need for those of us willing to help to have to download your pictures and view them in another window. It's less fun to help when there's unnecessary additional work to do so.

We do plan on sending out an email, if our records indicate you have a current contract. If you do not want to wait for the email though, you can contact tech support and we can process your upgrade before that time.

Do you have a timeline for when the e-mail should be sent out for free upgrades (I bought my copy on 1 August 2011, so I should qualify). I tried using the Upgrade Wizard but it doesn’t seem to like the code I got from the reseller where I purchased 8.x Single Server.

I wish you success with the company.

However, the way the transition is performed doesn't really speak well... you had lots of time to plan the release, yet parts of the webpages are broken, some point to outdated resources, confusion spreads and once again, Retrospect has a glossy box and questionable content.

I was burnt so heavily with the move from v6 to v8 and I know I am not alone, I waited for bug fixes and nothing arrived. Now, there is (again) a new company that releases a product with unfinished documentation, a incomplete and bug ridden web presence but a shiny new box and a fat price tag for those who already lost dozens of hours to deal with bugs or design flaws of Retrospect.

Fancy stuff like "cloud"-anything needs to be there to sell... but I truly would appreciate if Retrospect would actually work properly in (most or all) local installations and backup setups. Retrospect has been in development for so many years and still it f*cks up in certain condition so heavily that it's hard to believe.

Anyway. Everyone deserves a second chance (Retrospect as a product has already gotten more than that...) so I just wish you success with your new company.

cheers

®

We do plan on sending out an email, if our records indicate you have a current contract. If you do not want to wait for the email though, you can contact tech support and we can process your upgrade before that time.

Robin

We purchased Retro 8.2 in mid October of 2010 (just looked it up) so it looks like we are out of the ASM by about 3 weeks. We were never offered an an opportunity to renew the ASM. Where do I find info on this grace period I've read about on the forums?

How do you know that?

Posted 23 August 2011 - 03:34 PM

The release is coming very soon. Rather then release a product before it is ready, we made a business decision to continue testing and bug fixes a little longer. I think everyone would agree that a stable product is much better then a product released too quickly.

That was august 2011... they must have known by then, that the release will NOT be a update, but a new version.