!catalog File Out Of Sync With Backup Set

Its an XServe running Retrospect v8, attached 3Tb USB hadrdrive. Catalogue on Xserve in the Library, Media set on the external hard drive. This has run well for months - in fact I have two drives/scripts/media sets so I can alternate them day to day. All has run well. Then suddenly a back up failed with a dialogue saying that the Media Set was out of synch with the catalogue. So I (successfully) rebuilt the media set and tried to back up once more but then got the "Out of Synch" message in this post title.

What else would you need to know to assist?

Edited by Bob Saunders

Guest Steve Maser

What I would try:

0) Run Disk Utility on the "bad" USB drive to "verify disk" to see if there are any catalog errors or anything amiss.

1) Another catalog rebuild

2) See if you can *restore* files from the rebuilt catalog/media set.

3) If so, make a new media set and try to copy all the files from the old/rebuilt media set to the new one (especially since you have two sets and can try this with the "bad" one...)

The USB external drive is fine - no problems with that at all. Its the Catalogue has got out of synch with the media set . . .which I would have thought shouldn't happen under normal use conditions. I'm grooming first then trying another re-build. if neither of these work then I'd guess that the two elements just won't connect again so its back to zero and start a new media set.

So, with nothing wrong with the USB drive/cable and no other suggestions I have just trashed everything and started with a new MediaSet, Script and Catalogue. Its a pain but at least it can look after itself for the 36 hours it takes for the initial back-up.

Thank you both for your efforts anyway.

The USB external drive is fine - no problems with that at all.

Um-kay. If you say so.

Its the Catalogue has got out of synch with the media set.

Well yes, that's what you have reported. The Catalog lives on the Engine host machine and the Member lives on the (drum roll please) USB external drive.

What makes them go out of sync is when they can't communicate well.

And since the Media Set Member communicates with the Engine host machine via USB, a hardware problem is the most common cause of _ongoing_ problems of this sort.

If it doesn't show up after starting clean, that's great. If it _does_ happen again you might want to reevaluate your belief that your hardware is golden.