Says Media Is Full - It Isn't

Running Retropect 7.6 express onto an Iomega 320gb external hdd connected via USB to a PC running Windows XP SP3.

Today, the backup failed, as it asked for the location of new media as the existing resource was full - Backup Set A - this is after a grooming operation had occurred. We checked the system for any other folders with the same name, and there were none.

We checked the Iomega hdd and it shows 95% free

(1) What causes this! and

(2) How do we resolve this?

Any ideas?

Thank you very much for your response.

The properties says there is one member - it says there is 230gb free, but the box that says the member is lost or damaged is ticked.

What is the best solution to this? Even if we create a second member within the same external harddrive, as the original backupset is marked as lost/damaged I assume data cannot be recovered from it? If correct, just creating a second member doesn't necessarily do a full backup?

I suspect that this problem maybe created because the external harddrive was not ready ar the time - eg USB cable not fully attached etc.

Thank you very much for your response.

The properties says there is one member - it says there is 230gb free, but the box that says the member is lost or damaged is ticked.

What is the best solution to this? Even if we create a second member within the same external harddrive, as the original backupset is marked as lost/damaged I assume data cannot be recovered from it? If correct, just creating a second member doesn't necessarily do a full backup?

I suspect that this problem maybe created because the external harddrive was not ready ar the time - eg USB cable not fully attached etc.

The question is why is the "lost or damaged" checkbox ticked? Did the operator tick it? Did the operator click on the wrong button in the case of an error, so Retrospected deemed the backup set member unuseable?

The question is why is the "lost or damaged" checkbox ticked? Did the operator tick it? Did the operator click on the wrong button in the case of an error, so Retrospected deemed the backup set member unuseable?

Certainly wasn't ticked by the user directly. When Retrospect asked for a new member after a grooming process, the backup process was cancelled.

Questions really as per my last post.

1. If we remove the tick does Retrospect continue with member 1?

2. Or, if we add member 2 as is, does Retrospect continue to use member 1, or does retrospect start afresh?

3.Can this problem be caused by a USB malfunction, ie drive not ready?

Certainly wasn't ticked by the user directly. When Retrospect asked for a new member after a grooming process, the backup process was cancelled.

Questions really as per my last post.

1. If we remove the tick does Retrospect continue with member 1?

2. Or, if we add member 2 as is, does Retrospect continue to use member 1, or does retrospect start afresh?

3.Can this problem be caused by a USB malfunction, ie drive not ready?

1. Possibly. Retrospect will tell you if it can or not when you try a backup. Maybe it helps to recreate the catalog file first.

2. All files on member 1 will be treated as "lost" and will be backed up again on member 2. So it may be better to recycle the backup set and really start over with a fresh member 1.

3. Possibly. USB isn't the most reliable connection.

Thank you, you have been very helplful.

We will try option 1 and see what happens when we remove the tick/marker - will post back here after we see what happens. If this fails we will revert and try option 2. Bottom line we will start afresh, annoying as this issue has happened before.

Will post back here with results.

I am experiencing the same issue, however my storage space is internal raid drives. My retrospect is checking the box to "skip this member". If I uncheck the box I can re-run the backup job and it works ok. This issue is random, it does not do it all the time. It randomly chooses a backup set to error out on. No rhyme or reason. Any suggestions?

Please post your hardware setup, your software versions and relevant part(s) of the Retrospect log.

4 drives in a RAID 5 config using highpoint rocketraid card. Partitioned to C and D. OS and retrospect on C. D used for backing up to. (snapshots are later replicated to other locations for redundancy). OS is Windows XP Pro. Retrospect is 7.6. Backup set is set to a max of 25GB. The computer being backed up has less than 10GB on it. I started the job manually last night and it ran without any issues. (note: I am changing the time of day that the scheduled script runs to see if that helps. ) As you can see the scheduled job used Execution unit 3 while the manually run one used unit 1. Maybe I have too much disk activity going on. The scheduled job looks like it ran ok until grooming. Why is it grooming if it is doing a recycle?

I am also going to try changing the backup job to 'normal' and set grooming policy to "Groom to retrospect defined policy".

Log from scheduled (failed) run:

+ Recycle backup using CORPAVS01 at 10/9/2011 10:00 AM (Execution unit 3)

To Backup Set CORPAVS01...

10/9/2011 10:00:00 AM: Recycle backup: The Backup Set was reset

- 10/9/2011 10:00:00 AM: Copying Local Disk (C:) on CORPAVS01

- 10/9/2011 10:26:55 AM: Verifying Local Disk (C:) on CORPAVS01

10/9/2011 10:33:39 AM: Grooming Backup Set CORPAVS01...

10/9/2011 10:33:46 AM: Groomed zero KB from Backup Set CORPAVS01.

Media request for "2-CORPAVS01" timed out after waiting 2:00:00

10/9/2011 12:33:49 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 26290 files, 4.9 GB

Completed: 7015 files, 3.6 GB, with 31% compression

Performance: 147.2 MB/minute

Duration: 02:27:06 (02:02:18 idle/loading/preparing)

Log from manual run last night:

+ Recycle backup using CORPAVS01 at 10/13/2011 5:15 PM (Execution unit 1)

To Backup Set CORPAVS01...

10/13/2011 5:15:27 PM: Recycle backup: The Backup Set was reset

- 10/13/2011 5:15:27 PM: Copying Local Disk (C:) on CORPAVS01

10/13/2011 5:56:50 PM: Snapshot stored, 73.3 MB

10/13/2011 5:57:04 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 31315 files, 8.4 GB, with 33% compression

Performance: 227.8 MB/minute

Duration: 00:41:37 (00:04:10 idle/loading/preparing)

- 10/13/2011 5:57:09 PM: Verifying CORPAVS01

10/13/2011 6:02:14 PM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 31315 files, 8.4 GB

Performance: 1740.6 MB/minute

Duration: 00:05:04 (00:00:10 idle/loading/preparing)

OS is Windows XP Pro

No service packs installed?

Retrospect is 7.6.

There is always three digits in the version number. i.e. 7.6.123

There is also a Driver Update and Hot Fix version. i.e 7.6.2.101

Backup set is set to a max of 25GB.

That seems (very) small.

The computer being backed up has less than 10GB on it.

Right. But if 8GB of these change between each backup, you don't even have room for three backups...

But, as you point out, the backup starts with a recycle and then during/after the verify starts grooming. Very strange.

Do you have more than one member of the same backup set on the same volume? That could cause very strange errors.

(You can have one member from each of your backup sets on the same volume without problems.)

• 4 weeks later...

I get strange behavior with retrospect thinking that members of disk sets are full even though they're not all the time. Almost always this problem is due to corruption of the catalog file. Have you tried "recreate from disk" process for the catalog file on this set? What drive do you store the catalog files on? How much free space is there on that disk?

If you're using grooming, you should have at LEAST 10GB of free space PER EXECUTION UNIT on the drive housing your catalog files.

Also be aware that the catalog file rebuilt process needs a ton of free space because retrospect doesn't compress the catalog file until it completes the rebuild. For a multiple terrabyte disk set I'd say you need like 200GB of scratch space free to rebuild the catalog file.

I haven't had any backup set issues after updating Retrospect, rebuilding one specific catalog for a backup set I was having issue with, and spacing out the backup jobs. For me it seemed that the pattern was when there were multiple backup jobs running at the same time. This may be and issue do to the limitations of XP but I am unable to confirm or deny simply because we don't have Retrospect installed on a Server OS also.

Since I updated, rebuild and rescheduled all at the same time I cannot say what corrected the issue but If I had to guess it was the overlapping backup job schedules.