Windows Home Server 2011

Has anybody successfully used Retrospect 7.7 with Windows Home Server 2011? Roxio Support says they don't know if it will work or not.

If Retrospect 7.7 did work with WHS 2011, which version(s) worked? WHS 2011 can back itself up to an external hard disk, but there is a 2TB limit. I am considering using Retrospect to backup up to multiple backup sets (i.e. 2TB Music Set, 2TB Video Set) or to a NAS.

Has anybody successfully used Retrospect 7.7 with Windows Home Server 2011? Roxio Support says they don't know if it will work or not.

If Retrospect 7.7 did work with WHS 2011, which version(s) worked? WHS 2011 can back itself up to an external hard disk, but there is a 2TB limit. I am considering using Retrospect to backup up to multiple backup sets (i.e. 2TB Music Set, 2TB Video Set) or to a NAS.

Hello Chuck,

Thanks for asking about Retrospect and Windows Home Server. Because one of the primary roles of WHS is home network backup using the included backup software, yours may be the first request we've had regarding Retrospect + WHS.

As you are probably aware, WHS doesn't allow standard Windows applications to be installed, which prevents the Retrospect application and Retrospect Client software from being installed. Retrospect can back up your data from the WHS using a Windows file sharing login, but it must run from another Windows (or Mac) computer to do so. Any available volume on your network could be a target for these backups. When thinking about performance, it's important to be aware that the data will flow through the computer running the Retrospect application. In other words, Retrospect can't send data from the WHS to a USB drive directly attached to the WHS—it will have to go through the Retrospect computer, which wouldn't be as fast as a direct copy.

Thanks again for asking about Retrospect. I hope this helps answer your question. If I can provide additional information, please let me know.

Best regards,

Eric

--

Eric Ullman

Sr. Product Manager

Rovi Backup Software Products