Creating A Bootable Clone Using "duplicate"

I have a hard drive I use for backing up various stuff (my Mac, a large catalog of photographs from a separate HD, my iTunes library from a separate HD). I use "Duplicate" to copy everything in Retrospect 6.1. I'm using OSX v6.

I thought my Mac back up was bootable, but I haven't been able to boot from it; is this because it's on a drive with other backups. Should I have made the Mac back up on a separate HD, or a separate partition on a HD?

Thanks for any help.

Alan .

Running Retrospect 6.1 on (or backing up/duplicating) Mac OS 10.6 (or later) isn't supported.

Try Carbon Copy Cloner or SuperDuper for your duplicates. Also make sure the target hard drive's partition map is GUID and the file system is Mac OS Extended (journaled).

Edited by Lennart Thelander

So do you mean it's not recommended or that it won't work at all?

I have been using it for a while, it seems successfully,to duplicate my HD, but do you mean the duplicate is not bootable?

Thanks,

Alan.

I mean it's not supported. That can mean it doesn's work at all. It can also mean it LOOKS like it's working but isn't backing up/duplicating all information. Finally, but highly unlikely, it can work (under certain circumstances).

Did you check how the drive is formatted and did you check out the other products?

I mean it's not supported. That can mean it doesn's work at all. It can also mean it LOOKS like it's working but isn't backing up/duplicating all information. Finally, but highly unlikely, it can work (under certain circumstances).

Did you check how the drive is formatted and did you check out the other products?

Well I did manage to get everything up an running again (my HD on a Mac crashed) by putting a new HD in the Mac and using "Duplicate" to copy everything to the new drive. Then when I restarted it wouldn't boot up, so I inserted the OSX disc and restarted to the point where I could access "Disk Utility" and I repaired the permissions, then went to "Startup Disc" and was (surprisingly?) able to select the duplicated drive as a start up disc. I restarted and everything seems to be back to normal.

Sounds like I was lucky here?

Thanks for you help,

Alan.