Clients "unprotected"

I am backing up about 140 mac clients (90% are 10.6.8) as well as 18 servers (windows & mac mixed)

On a good portion of the clients (about 15-20%) they report as "Unprotected" in the console. I have looked through the past backups and they are backing up properly, but the reporting back to the console is non-existent. Unfortunately this is a HUGE issue when trying to manage this number of clients and trying to be sure that they are all backing up properly and on time. It really makes noticing any real problems a lot harder.

Edited by SCSC_TECH

Do you back up the entire source volume/client or just a fav. folder on the client?

I believe you are experiencing a cosmetic bug in the current version.

I am backing up "All Volumes" and the script is set to "All files except Cache Files"

As I said before, if its a cosmetic bug, it does get in the way of identifying real problems in a timely manner.

Edited by SCSC_TECH

On a good portion of the clients (about 15-20%) they report as "Unprotected" in the console.

If you quit and relaunch the console, does the console report a different status for any of these clients?

Randomly-incomplete communication between the engine and console regarding sources and media sets has been an ongoing issue in Retrospect 8.2. Quitting and relaunching the console (sometimes it takes several tries) can fix this for the short term.

I have seen this happen when a client has been removed and re-added even if it is the same client. It usually goes away after the first backup of that client. You may want to make sure that these clients are selected as sources in your backup script. Due to bug in 10.6.x make sure the users do not log-out before the backup as the client will not be backed up if left at the log-in screen.

Also try stopping and restarting Retrospect on the client. You can do this by opening Retrospect on the client and while holding down the command key click "Off" and status should change to "not Running" and then click "On" and status should change to "Ready". I have found this to reset the communication between the console and client.

I have seen this happen when a client has been removed and re-added even if it is the same client. It usually goes away after the first backup of that client. You may want to make sure that these clients are selected as sources in your backup script. Due to bug in 10.6.x make sure the users do not log-out before the backup as the client will not be backed up if left at the log-in screen.

Also try stopping and restarting Retrospect on the client. You can do this by opening Retrospect on the client and while holding down the command key click "Off" and status should change to "not Running" and then click "On" and status should change to "Ready". I have found this to reset the communication between the console and client.

This symptom has been around for months and months. Its just giving me more of a headache now when any other issues come up. Users tell me about the machines not backing up before I know about it.

I have restarted the console.

I have removed and re-added clients (this helped some but not all)

These are 24/7 proactive scripts so even if the user is logged off for some portion of the day it catches them later.

Like I said, if I look into past backups I can see the clients being backed up, but at a glance, I cant do troubleshooting by viewing the status in sources. Its time consuming to pour through the past backups to be sure each client is being hit on a regular basis.