Hi all,

I'm new to retrospect and was given a mac osx server with a tangberg storage loader to manage. Unfortunately, it stopped doing backups months and months ago and I'm trying to figure out how to get it going again.

I did an immediate backup and it wasn't able to find any tapes with the right label to backup on. So I erased all the tapes currently in the storage loader and now I'm stuck on the attached screen. There's no option to label any of the tapes in the 8 slots, only to move them into the drive slot, erase it, or unload.

Can anyone show me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks!

I don't see any attached picture, so I can't tell you exactly what is wrong.

Anyway, Retrospect normally uses any erased tape and labels it according to the backup being run.

Thanks for reply Lennart. That would be a user error on my part for forgetting to attach the picture. There are currently 8 lto3 tapes in slots 1-8 and I've gone through and erased them all.

Thanks for reply Lennart. That would be a user error on my part for forgetting to attach the picture. There are currently 8 lto3 tapes in slots 1-8 and I've gone through and erased them all.

OK, a picture tells more than a thousand words...

Retrospect doesn't see them as "erased". It sees them tapes as "unknown" contents.

Retrospect asks you to drag one of the tapes (on screen) into the tape drive (above the loader). If you hold the cursor above the small tape symbol, it will turn into a small hand. Now you can drag one on the tapes into the tape drive. You will se a black outline when you should "drop" the tape. If the tape is erased, Retrospect will use it. If it isn't erased, Retrospect will ask if it can erase it now.

To avoid this in the future:

Keep Retrospect running all the time after you erased the tapes.

If they become "unknown" again, you can right click on the loader and select "scan selected" in the context menu. That makes Retrospect check the name of all the tapes and hopefully show them as "erased".