Error 505 Client On Reserve

Can't back up client. Error 505 "Client on reserve"

Started retrospect on the client and turned it off than back on. also turned it off with option key down. Restarted both client and back up machine. Uninstalled the client and reinstalled the client. That also didn't work. Not sure what else to do. Help please????

Thanks

Andy

Yes the client was uninstalled with the installer.

I redid the uninstalled yesterday.

After reinstalled it seamed to work. Was able to add the client, add the files to the script to backup. Ran the script manually as a test it worked. but stopped it after 5 minutes. Didn't want to tie up the server in the middle of the day. Last night the script ran on it's schedule but couldn't connect. Had the same problem.

Thanks

Andy

Was able to add the client, add the files to the script to backup. Ran the script manually as a test it worked. but stopped it after 5 minutes. Didn't want to tie up the server in the middle of the day. Last night the script ran on it's schedule but couldn't connect. Had the same problem.

The 505 error means that the client thinks it is already being accessed by a Retrospect backup computer. While this can mean that some other Retrospect server is connected to the client, it more typically happens when a backup is started and then is unexpectedly interrupted. The client thinks it's still being accessed for backup and won't allow any other access.

The immediate fix is either to reboot the client computer or to stop and restart the Retrospect client application. (Hold down the Command key while clicking on the Off button in the client control panel. The status should change to "Not Running." Then click "On" to restart the client.)

You don't say what Retrospect version or client version you're running. You should be running the latest versions, which are Retrospect 6.1.130 and client version 6.2.234. Also, what OS version is running, on both the backup computer and the client?

Tim,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not running the latest version on both end, I will download the latest and update. The backup computer is on 10.6.7 the client is 10.5.8. I did try the client shut down routine but held the option key instead of the command key. I will try these latest advice and get back to you.

Andy

Thank You for all your help

Everything is now working!!!

This combination of backup computer and client has been running great for the last 2 years. I use large external hard drive for backups. Every month or so i will reformat and ad a new backup set. I got error 505 the next day after running the backup script.

The fix was updating the backup computer and client to the latest version of retrospect.

Andy