Retro 7.7 Trial ?

supersox

I am running Express HD 2. If I download the Trial 7.7 and decide that I don't like it will the back ups I make while trying it out still run with my HD 2 ??

Does anybody know? I really would like to try this, but I don't want to jam myself up. I THANKS!! :)

W

Edited by Wynn67

• 1 year later...

I have a related question: I have a copy of Retrospect Express HD (I have two Iomega Home Media network drives) and am interested in purchasing Retrospect Professional to use in backing up other machines to one of those drives. Can I run both versions of Retrospect on the same server? I'd love to use Professional (+ an extra client license) to back up computers 1, 2 and 3 to Home Media drive A, then use Express HD to back up Home Media drive A to Home Media drive B...all of this running on computer #3. Would that work, or do I have to give up on Express and buy a second extra client license for Pro and run everything from Pro?

(love the avatar, Robin Mayoff! Grover?)

Thanks,

C

Can I run both versions of Retrospect on the same server? I'd love to use Professional (+ an extra client license) to back up computers 1, 2 and 3 to Home Media drive A, then use Express HD to back up Home Media drive A to Home Media drive B...all of this running on computer #3.

You can do all of that with a single Professional licence on computer #3. No need to keep using Express HD.

If you only have three computers to back up, you don't need to purchase any extra client licenses. Professional will back up three computers by default (the computer on which it is installed, plus two clients).

As far as I know, v7.7 can read backups made by Express HD, but Express HD cannot read backups made by v7.7 (since v7.7 introduced a new backup set format).

I'm glad I don't have to add an extra license for the computers, but I think I might need one to back up from one Home Media drive to the other (since neither are part of the server where Professional would be installed). Or are network drives dealt with as if they were drives attached to the computer running Retrospect? Do they count as separate computers?

Thanks for your help, Cygnis! (hmm...wonder if your nick and mine have something in common)

C

Glad to help. :)

Or are network drives dealt with as if they were drives attached to the computer running Retrospect? Do they count as separate computers?

Network shares do not count as extra computers, so you can use any number of them as backup sources / destinations, without purchasing extra client licences.