Hello,

I just did an immediate backup using an external hard drive and I want to know if I need to archive, restore, duplicate and transfer too or am I done with my backup until my next scheduled weekly backup this Friday night? I backed up my Macintosh HD in case I need to get my computer fixed and it loses its memory, I will still have all my files.

Make sure the backup went well by checking the log.

What selector did you use? I use "All files except cache files", but "All files" is fine, too. If you used another selector, some files may not have been backed up.

Once you checked that, everything should be OK.

Store the backup off site in case of fire, theft, flooding, lightning etc etc.

You may want to use two hard drives on a rotating basis.

Make sure the backup went well by checking the log.

What selector did you use? I use "All files except cache files", but "All files" is fine, too. If you used another selector, some files may not have been backed up.

Once you checked that, everything should be OK.

Store the backup off site in case of fire, theft, flooding, lightning etc etc.

You may want to use two hard drives on a rotating basis.

@Lennart Thelander,

My log said,

• 6/23/2011; 5:10:50 PM; Device trouble: "1-Backup Set GV", error 209 (media content damaged)
  • 6/23/20111; 5:54:13 PM: Comparing Piggy's Folder on Macintosh HD...
    • 6/23/2011; 5:54:15 PM: 1 execution errors. Completed: 63 files, 627KB, with 0% compression.

I used my external hard drive for most of the backup and had 627KB left, so I used a CD-RW for the rest of it. When I was using it to configure my CD drive to accept CD-RW discs, I pushed the disc back in the drive and met some resistance a couple of times. That may have caused the CD to be damaged. I used it anyway, and the results are listed above. In the catalog, there are 60KB in each media file. The first time I did the catalog, I didn't finish it and stopped at GZ or something, leaving H-Z unpaired. For instance, there was no HA - HZ, etc. Then I did the backup. This time, I completed the catalog, and did the backup. When I used, 'V' as the destination, it said there were no files to be copied.

But when I ran, "Cute Piggy's Backup Script," to Backup Set GV, it backed up the 627KB.

I used, "All files," as a selector.

I'm sorry you didn't get my last post, but I forgot to sign in first and I guess you can't read it if you forget to sign in first.

Edited by littlepiggy

I'm sorry, but I don't follow you.

A hard drive is not (really) the destibation of the backup. A backup set is the destination of the backup. What kind of backup set do you have?

Configure-->Backup Set, select the one you are using and click "Configure". What does it say?

Click on the "Members" tab, what does it say? (That may be disabled depending on what kind of backup set you have.)