Does Somebody Have To Be Logged In For Volume To Be Available?

I am running Retrospect 6.1 server on a Mac with about 40 OS X (mostly Snow Leopard) network clients. The person who trained me on using Retrospect showed me how to specify the user's home directory as a subvolume of the client itself, to make it easier to only back up the main user's data.

Unfortunately, if there are no users logged in to the computer when the backup script tries to run, the subvolume is not available, and the backup is delayed until somebody is logged in again.

Is there something I can do to make the home directory subvolumes available even when nobody is logged into the machine? The unfortunate alternative is that the backup scripts have to run during business hours.

Thanks,

Paul

Edited by gravelpot

I should add that the reason I don't want users logged in during the backup is that my desktop support tech. can't log in to their systems remotely for after-hours maintenance if they lock their screen and leave themselves logged in. If they leave themselves logged out, then he can log in remotely using an admin account.