Rebuild Catalog File From Backup On The Internet

Hi,

I am trying to rebuild a catalog file from a backup that exists on an internet server. After three attempts the rebuild fails half way through the process making further backups impossible to execute and access to existing backups equally impossible. What is one to do in this situation? Is there some sort of work around, or are my backups lost?

I am trying to rebuild a catalog file from a backup that exists on an internet server. After three attempts the rebuild fails half way through the process making further backups impossible to execute and access to existing backups equally impossible. What is one to do in this situation? Is there some sort of work around, or are my backups lost?

What happens when the rebuild fails? Do you get any error message? Are you given an opportunity to save the partial catalog?

If the rebuild fails at a predictable time or location, I would stop the rebuild before it reaches that point and save the partial catalog. Then, try repairing the existing catalog by updating it.

If the rebuild is failing because there is something wrong with the way the data is written on the remote server, you would not be able to retrieve data beyond the point of failure anyway; better to have a partial catalog to retrieve early items than nothing at all.

If the rebuild is failing because of some sort of communications glitch, performing the rebuild in smaller segments may increase your chances for success.

In any case, I would create a new backup set for your current and future backups and forget about trying to add further backup sessions to the existing backup set.