Retrospect 7.7 Multi-Server Hangs At 100% Of Building Snapshots

Is anyone else having this issue? My 7.7 multi-server edition backs up 19 of our servers to a 6TB disk array. The "execution" tab continues to show the first six servers (six execution slots) stuck at 100% completion of "building snapshots" for the 1st volume of each server. I've gone as far as letting the system sit in this state for 2 days to see if maybe it's just taking a ridiculous amount of time to complete. Snapshots used to build pretty quickly, for my Retrospect server is a dual quad-core Xeon running Windows Server 2003 doing a disk-to-disk backup to a 6TB RAID-10 array. This problem started happening after the last Roxio update.

Any ideas? I'm having to ab-end Retrospect to escape the building snapshots status. Clicking "stop" doesn't even remove me from this state.

Thanks,

Nick

Do you see this with only one execution running?

32 bit or 64 bit Retrospect?

How much RAM?

If you write one execution to a different disk, does it do the same thing?

Hi.

32bit Retrospect, 4gb of RAM (of course Windows is only using 3gb). I've not tested with only one execution running, nor have I tried writing on execution to a different disk. I'll try this. What I have noticed in my recent trouble shooting is that the snapshot builds only hang after my snapshot transfers to tape. This tells me that the initial, full backup is what's hanging when building the snapshots. The subsequent differential backups build snapshots without an issue (I suppose because they're much smaller).

I'll get back to you when I've done the above tests.

Thanks,

Nick

How much RAM?

A little more info. I'm noticing that each time I get "stuck" building snapshots, it's when this particular machine is building as well:

retrospectstuck.jpg

As you can see, directory structure and file names are VERY, VERY long. Could Retrospect be having an issue with these very long, deep directory paths/names? This is a Digital x-ray Picture Archiving and Retrieval System storing DICOM images; this being the industry standard as far as DICOM naming structure is concerned.

Thanks,

Nick

How much RAM?

Don't know if you've seen my post. But I've tried the one execution unit at a time with no luck. However, it turns out that only the backups for my two Windows Server 2008 32bit systems hang during the snapshot builds.

Are there any know issues with backing up server 2008?

--Nick

• 2 months later...

I’m having the same problem. I have tracked it down to the system drive (C:) on all my 2008 R2 Servers. Retrospect will back up the C Drive then get stuck on Building Snapshot I have left it there for up to 5 days and even stopping it will not work I have to force Retrospect to close. I’m running Retrospect 7.7.562 Server and 7.7.114 Windows Client.

How big is your system drive c: on the retrospect server?

I have multiple 2008 R2 servers with systems drives raging from 20GB to 40GB but the data on the drives is around 12GB

I found more info about this over at the old forums http://forums.dantz.com/showtopic.php?tid/33293/

It look like if you turn off "Backup System State", the problem goes away. I have yet to try this though. This problem started for me when I went from 6.5 to 7.7. The question is what do i loose when i turn "Backup System State" off?

Edited by Bigpunk

Retrospect requires 10 t0 15 Gb of space on the system drive of the retrospect server per concurrent execution.

Please limit the concurrent executions to one and let me know if it still hangs.

I now have two Servers setup both with only one concurrent execution running a backup of a Server 2008 Client and one has been stuck on Building Snapshot for 4 days and the other has been stuck for 2 days. This is the first backup of the Client on the Servers we just upgraded to 7.7 from 6.5 and never had this problem before. One weird thing I noticed when we moved from 6.5 to 7.7 is that the Server 2008 Clients that wont backup list a SQL Server under Volumes on 7.7 but they did not on 6.5.

Here are the specks of the Servers

Server 1

Server 2008

32bit

4GB Ram

4 3.6GHz CPU

500GB HD with 130GB free

Server 2

Server 2008 R2

64bit

16GB Ram

2 3.40GHz CPU