Hello all once again,

I am unable to Restore onto the server. I cannot even create a folder to Restore to through Retrospect. However, I can create folders on the server through the finder. When I try to restore to the server, I always get this error:

Trouble writing folder <folder name>, error -5000 (server: no privileges)

Because of this error, I have to restore locally and then copy over to the server which is inconvenient and time consuming.

G4 running 10.3.9

Retrospect v6.1.126

Server 10.6.3

Any help would be appreciated.

Do you restore the server by using the Retrospect Client on that server?

Or do you mount the server volume in Finder and restore NOT using any Retrospect Client?

Or do you let Retrospect mount the volume when restoring?

In the latter case, do you use the same user/password as when mounting the volume in the Finder?

Do you restore the server by using the Retrospect Client on that server?

Or do you mount the server volume in Finder and restore NOT using any Retrospect Client?

Or do you let Retrospect mount the volume when restoring?

In the latter case, do you use the same user/password as when mounting the volume in the Finder?

Retrospect is installed on the G4 only. The Volume that I want to restore to is manually mounted.

Where can I check what user/password Retrospect would be using?

I think under "Configure"-->"Volumes"

Under the "Configure" tab I clicked the "Volumes" button.

Then I selected the Volume from the list and selected "Volumes" from the top title bar and clicked "Configure"

I entered the password because the correct user was already selected.

Finally I attempted another restore to that volume but still no dice.

Have you checked that you've read/write privileges set up on that drive? Are you sharing the drive via Server Admin?

I am using Server Admin and I checked that all of the privileges should be correct. Even after propagating the permissions I still cannot create a folder through retrospect nor restore to that Volume.

As I recall, there were some issues in accessing network shares with early versions of Retro 6.1. You might try updating to the final version, 6.1.230 and driver update 6.1.16.100.

Current

Version: 6.1.126

Driver: 6.1.5.102

I overlooked the driver. I found the 6.1.230 version and 6.1.16.100 driver. Going through the read-me before downloading, I came across this:

"Use hard drives as removable disks. This new preference allows Retrospect to use Xserve RAID devices, as well as hard drives connected to the backup server via USB, FireWire, Fibre Channel, ATA, or SCSI, as destinations for removable disk backup sets. WARNING: Retrospect requires exclusive use of any volume selected for use in a removable disk backup set and it erases the volume entirely before using it the first time."

I want to make sure that I read this correctly. With this update I will be able to back up the server volume as well as restore to it but I must first format it? Does the server volume have to be considered a removable disk? I do not believe that it does

["Use hard drives as removable disks. This new preference allows Retrospect to use Xserve RAID devices, as well as hard drives connected to the backup server via USB, FireWire, Fibre Channel, ATA, or SCSI, as destinations for removable disk backup sets. WARNING: Retrospect requires exclusive use of any volume selected for use in a removable disk backup set and it erases the volume entirely before using it the first time."

That paragraph is valid when using a drive as the destination for the backup. That is not your case.

I did indeed misread it -_-

I have updated both retrospect and the driver but I still cannot write to the server

I did a quick gander around on Google and found that the -5000 indicates an issue with AFP -

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2237?viewlocale=en_US

-5000 afpAccessDenied AFP access denied

Have you checked AFP?

Also, I noticed that the G4 is running on 10.3.9 while the server is running 10.6.3...perhaps that is part of the erring...? Just a thought.

Edited by m.anthony

I did a quick gander around on Google and found that the -5000 indicates an issue with AFP -

http://support.apple...iewlocale=en_US

-5000 afpAccessDenied AFP access denied

Have you checked AFP?

Also, I noticed that the G4 is running on 10.3.9 while the server is running 10.6.3...perhaps that is part of the erring...? Just a thought.

That link's document applies to OS 9 and earlier but I have noticed in other forums that people have the same complaint in OSX.

Looking further, there are instances where no one can connect via afp so that service is restarted. Other instances, only some clients cannot connect via afp but I did not find a solution to that problem.

In my case, this computer is the only one that cannot connect properly. I'd rather not restart the service kicking off everyone to troubleshoot one machine.

The DirectoryService logs are not much help either.

As for the 10.3 / 10.6 possibility, mayhaps, but I am still able to create folders via finder.

Error -5000 is a no permissions error coming from the finder. Doing a restore via filesharing will result in these errors if the finder reports you/retrospect does not have permission to write that data. Try mounting the volume while logged into the backup computer as root and then try again.

Error -5000 is a no permissions error coming from the finder. Doing a restore via filesharing will result in these errors if the finder reports you/retrospect does not have permission to write that data. Try mounting the volume while logged into the backup computer as root and then try again.

I logged into the root account. Mounted and created a new folder on the network drive trough Retrospect. Restored a test file. Everything worked just fine.

Now how can I give permissions to Retrospect on the regular user account?

I logged into the root account. Mounted and created a new folder on the network drive trough Retrospect. Restored a test file. Everything worked just fine.

Now how can I give permissions to Retrospect on the regular user account?

Just mount the network drive the same way you did this test, prior to running Retrospect.

(Retrospect always runs as root, so that is not the problem. The problem is how the network volume is mounted, in terms of user/password)

Edited by Lennart Thelander

Just mount the network drive the same way you did this test, prior to running Retrospect.

(Retrospect always runs as root, so that is not the problem. The problem is how the network volume is mounted, in terms of user/password)

That solved it. Normally, the drives are mounted on login using the user's credentials so I deactivated that process. Mount everything through Retrospect & presto!

Thank you everyone for their time, effort, and help.