Lost Password To Media Set

I've run into a problem where I need to restore my system from a Retrospect 8 for Mac Media Set that I encrypted using a 24 character SimpleCrypt password, which I have lost somehow. Does anybody know anyone who can overcome this? I put in a ticket with Roxio but haven't heard back yet. The one Data Recovery company I spoke with recommended contacting Roxio, as that what they would have done.

8 years of work is sitting in that backup :( Any help would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks,

sej

You need the password to decrypt; that's what encryption does.

I mean, if there were an easy way to get around the password protection, it' would be of much protection to begin with.

Thanks Dave, I totally understand what I'm up against here and never imagined myself in this spot. Roxio said "If you do not have the password anymore and you can't remember or guess it, the only way how to access the files inside the backup is by password breaking techniques." So now I'm looking for someone with great password breaking techniques. The way Retrospect is designed I don't believe it would be possible to automate password entry/attempts so I know I'm probably sunk here :( There's 1 file in there that if I could just get to it all would be fixed. If anyone knows any 3rd party companies that can unlock this please let me know.

Thanks,

sej

Guest Steve Maser

By any chance did you set up the Media Set to remember the password for scripted access?

If so, then you could write a script to copy the contents of the Media Set to a new Media Set where you know the password.