I have upgraded my server to OS X and need a new licence for it, since the 9.2 won't work now. My clients are running Retrospect 6.1. Assuming the new licence will be for the latest version of Retrospect, do I have to upgrade all the clients to the latest version of Retrospect?

If the client version is still appropriate for the OS version on each client computer, there is no need to update at this point.

Retrospect 6.1.230 will run on OS X versions through 10.5.x, and if your backup or client computers are not running a later OS version, you may prefer to use this version of Retrospect. If you were running Retro 5.1 on your 9.2 server (you didn't say), you can download 6.1 and use the same license code.

Or you may want to bite the bullet and upgrade all the way to 8.2. Be aware, though, that Retro 6.1 is a more polished product than 8.2, and in use will more closely resemble 5.1, so it's likely to be easier and perhaps a bit faster to use. If you don't yet have to go all the way to Retrospect 8 (because none of your computers is yet running Snow Leopard), you may prefer to wait until the latest update comes out, which supposedly will be sometime this summer.