Propogating Permissions Triggers Full Back-Up

This has been a problem ever since I started using Retrospect 8 (now using 8.2 under Mac OS 10.6.7 Server and I have a Retrospect Server license). Whenever I propagate permissions on my server share points to correct incorrect permissions on folders my users have made, Retrospect will assume every file and folder is new/changed and trigger a full back-up. That means 4.5TB of data to be backed up which takes days. Back in Retrospect 6 there was a Preference setting telling Retrospect to ignore ACL/POSIX changes and only back-up based on file modification date. I cannot find any such preference to change in Retrospect 8. I did notice in the Scripts menu under Options Tab in Source...Macintosh there is a check box for "use Attribute Modification date when matching" but that does not solve this. That appears to relate to Mac Clients and I no longer back up my Mac Clients with Retrospect. This problem occurs locally on attached eSATA drives.

Similarly, Is it possible for Retrospect to be made to understand that a change to Day Light Savings or back to Standard time does not mean every file on the server has changed?

Anyone have any suggestions.

Tom

Retrospect User...12 years and counting.

Go to the script options and uncheck the option to match against the attribute modification date. That should help.

It was unchecked to begin with. I have tried both with it checked and unchecked, it still wants to back-up all 4.5TB as new/changed either way.

:-(

Guest Steve Maser

I think mayoff was answering the last question (about the DST backup) -- that change doesn't affect POSIX/ACL changes.

Edited by Steve Maser

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...