This may be a dumb/obvious question, but...

Maser

We back up a couple of Red Hat Enterprise 4 systems.

On them, we've just installed the client and opened the firewall for port 497 and been happy with that.

The user of the RHE system then wanted to exclude/make private some stuff, but had no idea where the GUI is for doing that (like there is on the Mac/PC clients)

Where should I be looking for an app on RHE that does this?

Or is this all set by terminal commands or something?

From page 104 of the Retrospect User's Guide:

Client User Preferences:

Linux: Run RetroClient.sh from the installed client folder.

From page 105 of the Retrospect User's Guide:

Windows/Linux: Click the Preferences tab from the Client control panel.

From page 106 of the Retrospect User's Guide:

Private Files/Folder/Volumes makes any files, folder, or volumes designated as private unavailable to the backup computer. This preference is off by default. Select the checkbox and designate private items as described below.

To designate an item as private under Windows or Linux, click the Add button, browse to select the item, then click OK or Exclude. Click Add again to exclude more volumes, folders, or individual files. The privacy feature uses the literal pathnames you specify. If you move or rename a file or folder it may no longer be private. If you mount a volume to a different location, its files and folders may no longer be private.

FYI, the manual is here:

Retrospect 6.0 User's Guide

Hope this helps,

Russ

hi Maser, Russ,

there is a file in the /etc directory called, 'retroclient.excludes'. edit that to exclude directories and give the command, '/usr/local/dantz/retroclient/retrocpl -exclude'.

the Linux client is a little different in that you can do everything from the command line. most folks (myself included) don't even bother with the GUI (it is difficult to set up).

cheers.

Quote:

the Linux client is a little different in that you can do everything from the command line.

Oh, well then we need parity on the Mac because that's what I'd prefer, too (grin). A couple of the product suggestions I've made for Retrospect Mac would be non-issues if preferences were in an editable file. Specifically, and most painful, the mapping of barcodes to backup set members. It takes a LONG time to find, retrieve, and feed all of those tapes back for 15 years through the system if you change your barcoding scheme.

Russ

The "run Retrospect.sh" isn't doing what I think it should be doing.

If I got to the terminal and cd to:

/usr/local/dantz/client

and type "./RetroClient.sh"

I get a bunch of information starting with:

Waring: -jar not understood. Ignoring

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: .usr.local.dantz.client.retrospect.jar

and more beyond that.

That's what I'm wondering if I'm missing something...

Interesting. I checked with the RHEL 4 guy on campus and he said:

Red Hat only includes software which is open source; since Sun's Java is proprietary they do not include it with RHEL4.

(which would explain my problem -- "man java" doesn't bring up anything...)

He also stated:

It is not recommended to download the Java RPMs from the Sun web site; this may cause problems on RHEL4.

and suggested I go here: http://www.jpackage.org/ (and he gave me a bunch of other info about this...)

This would explain my issue -- Java just isn't there in my RHE4 install. Didn't even think of that...

I'm by no means a Red Hat Enterprise expert, but the guy on campus who is, pointed me to this (as there are IBM Java files available from Red Hat)...

To download the packages from Red Hat, sign into the RHN web page (http://rhn.redhat.com), and then:

1. Click on "Channels" at the top of the screen

2. Enter "extras" in the text field labeled "Filter by Channel

Name"

3. This will show a list of "Extras" channels. Choose the 32-bit

or 64-bit RHEL 4 WS channel. For instance, if you have a

32-bit machine, choose:

RHEL WS (v. 4 for x86) Extras

If you have a 64-bit machine, choose:

RHEL WS (v. 4 for AMD64/EM64T) Extras

4. After you click on the Extras channel name, choose "Packages"

from the secondary list of tabs. (underneath the channel name)

5. From the list of packages, you can choose java-bea or java-ibm

packages. You probably would want to downlown the

java-1.5.0-ibm packages.

I downloaded this:

java-1.5.0-ibm-1.5.0.0-1jpp_2rh:0.i386

IBM Java Runtime Environment

and was able to run ./RetroClient.sh with no problems after that!

Archived