Using Multiple Drives In A Library

Has anyone ever used more then one drive in a library with Retrospect v7.6 (or 7.7)?

Meaning specifically...

Library A (slots for 32 tapes) is populated with a SAIT 1 drive and has four additional drive bays. SAIT 1 has been discontinued by Sony.

I'd like to add to bay 2 an LTO 5 drive.

The question becomes......

Can Retrospect recognize and if I have the term right, virtualize the library so that tapes 1 through lets say 24 be used for the new LTO 5 and the remaining slots used for the old SAIT 1?

I've asked Retrospect technical but they don't know the answer.

Thank you.

Todd

I have heard about users having a tape library with multiple tape drives, but the tapes (and drives) were of the same type.

It might be possible to do what you want if you always name each new tape for the backup set(s) used by each drive. But don't take my word for it.

I have heard about users having a tape library with multiple tape drives, but the tapes (and drives) were of the same type.

It might be possible to do what you want if you always name each new tape for the backup set(s) used by each drive. But don't take my word for it.

Thanks for the thoughts. In the past when I defined what tapes belong to a new backup set Retrospect would always hang the system an crash upon writing to the first tape. This started happening after going from v6.5 to v7. I replaced everything I had.... The computer, the drive, the interface card (SCSI), reinstalled software but nothing helped so I gave up on that and let Retro pick whatever erased tape it wanted.

I'm hoping someone out there may be using multiple drives, even if they are the same type just to know if you can define x amount of tapes to a particular drive. Anyone??

Thanks,

Todd

• 1 month later...