Retro Pro 7.7 Fails (Catalog File, Error -1103 Write Protected) With Multiple Users Logged In

I'm running Retro Pro 7.7 on a Win7 Ultimate PC. I have multiple users logged into the PC at time (only one actively using it). Retro runs under the admin-level (name & password) account of one of the users (USER2). The other account for USER1 is a user-level non-admin account. I'm generally trying to back up the C:/Users/<USER1> and <USER2> data directories to a local USB "U" drive or other network drives.

If both user accounts are logged in, Retro regularly fails to run, complaining about "Can't save Catalog File, error -1103 ( write protected)" while trying to back up data to a local USB "U" drive. The first thing that's interesting is that this fails for "USER2," the admin-level account under which Retro runs (and which is often the active logged-in user) rather than the non-admin account. The second interesting thing is that this message is nonsense -- the Catalog file is *not* locked by Windows in any way (if needed, I can read and write to the directory with this file). I've tried this with the Catalog file on the external USB drive ("U" drive) and in a folder at the root level of the C: drive (copy catalog file and double-click). If the Catalog file is locked in any way, it's Retrospect, not Windows, that's locking it.

The (silly) "workaround" is to log out the non-admin level "USER1" account before running Retrospect.

I encountered a second example of this "write protected -1003 Catalog file" when I tried to back up the data from USER1 & USER2 to a UNC data directory. This failed with multiple error messages. My "workaround" was to log out of the non-admin USER2 account *and* only back up the data directory of USER2. I'm not sure which of these two things made the difference but I was able to back up the USER2 data without any errors. Regardless of Retro's ability to back up the data, in *no* case was the Catalog file (now on C:\Retro_catalogs) ever locked by Windows.

I've also separately launched and run other backup programs under Windows that had no problem backing up these USER1 & USER2 directories (to the USB "U" drive or the UNC \\readyshare" drive) without reporting any errors, locked files or otherwise. So it's only Retrospect that being needlessly picky about something.

===============================================================

+ Normal backup using THISPC4_data_backups at 4/1/2011 2:00 AM

To Backup Set THISPC4_data_backups...

- 4/1/2011 2:00:19 AM: Copying USER1 on DRIVE_C (C:)

4/1/2011 2:01:42 AM: Snapshot stored, 2,272 KB

4/1/2011 2:01:44 AM: Comparing USER1 on DRIVE_C (C:)

4/1/2011 2:02:01 AM: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 272 files, 204.5 MB

Performance: 766.6 MB/minute (817.7 copy, 766.6 compare)

Duration: 00:01:42 (00:01:09 idle/loading/preparing)

- 4/1/2011 2:02:01 AM: Copying USER2 on DRIVE_C (C:)

Can't save Catalog File, error -1103 ( write protected) <==== literally nonsense

4/1/2011 2:02:50 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 222 files, 819.5 MB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:48 (00:00:48 idle/loading/preparing)

4/1/2011 2:02:51 AM: Execution incomplete

Total performance: 743.4 MB/minute

Total duration: 00:02:30 (00:01:57 idle/loading/preparing)

Exit at 4/1/2011 2:02 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------

+ Normal backup using THISPC_to_router_USB at 4/10/2011 9:47 PM

To Backup Set THISPC_to_router_USB...

- 4/10/2011 9:47:33 PM: Copying USER1 on DRIVE_C (C:)

Additional error information for Disk Backup Set member "1-THISPC_to_router_USB",

Can't write to file \\readyshare\USB_storage\Retrospect\THISPC_to_router_USB

\1-THISPC_to_router_USB\AA000001.rdb, error -1116 ( can't access network volume)

Trouble writing: "1-THISPC_to_router_USB" (949944320), error -116 ( volume doesn't exist)

Can't save Catalog File, error -1103 (write protected)

4/10/2011 9:54:53 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 5035 files, 7.4 GB

Completed: 1797 files, 912.2 MB

Performance: 144.4 MB/minute

Duration: 00:07:19 (00:01:00 idle/loading/preparing)

--------------------------------------------------------------

+ Retrospect version 7.7.341

Launched at 4/11/2011 9:52 AM in user account THISPC\admin_level_user

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have the same problem with only one user on this, the server computer. I get random "Can't save Catalog File, error -1103 ( write protected)" messages when backing up server files on a local drive or when I'm backing up another computer on the network to a network drive. I usually (but not always) can get things to work by trying again.

I wish we could depend on Roxio for solutions.

• 3 months later...

I'm having the same problem, again with only one user. Retrospect professional 7.7, windows 7. "Can't save Catalog File, error -1103 ( Write Protected). My Retrospect configuration is pretty vanilla, backing up the local computer to a network drive with the catalog file on the local computer. This problem happens only occasionally. Also using PGP WDE 10.1.2 on the local computer.

I'm having a similar problem with locked catalog files on Retrospect 7.7.341 but with slightly different conditions. Before 9/20/2011 I never saw this problem but after 10/14/2011 it started to show up. I backup files from a NAS RAID box to a local extra data hard drive with the catalog in my user directory on the boot drive. No other users are logged in when I backup and my backup is done on an administrator account. I think this may have something to do with some recent update I did to my system which is Windows XP Pro. Here are the recent updates that were installed on my system:

1. Updated Acronis True Image Home 2011 from build 6847 to 6942. True Image runs two helper programs in the windows Explorer process session.

2. Updated Avira anti-virus to version 12. This includes many system services. I disabled the online scanning functions (realtime, web, mail and firewall) but still get the error with them disabled.

3. Various Microsoft updates installed:

KB2564958, KB2567053, KB2592799, KB2586448 (IE8), KB2572073 (.NET 2.0 SP2), Silverlight 4.0.60831.0, KB2565063 (VS10 RTL)

My guess is that it iseither #2 or #3 that is causing the problem. I'm updating to the latest Retrospect update to see if that helps. I may remove the AV to see what that does but rolling back the MS updates is not easy.

Has anyone noticed if Retrospect worked fine before and started doing this recently?

• 1 month later...
Guest jmegas1

I'm having the same problem. I replaced the tapes, had my tape drive serviced, and I am still getting the error. Originally I thought it was a hardware error. Now I think the most likely culprit on my machine is Webroot SecureAnywhere. It has caused other problems and I added it approximately the same time as I started to receive the Error 1103. Update 1: I haven't tried it yet, but Webroot SecureAnywhere seems to think the problem is due to their content "up in the cloud." They have repaired the content in the cloud and they say Retrospect should run correctly on my computer now. Update 2: I just tried Retrospect again and it *worked!* Who would have ever thought that Webroot's SecureAnywhere in the cloud would cause this error message in Retrospect? I learn something new about computers everyday.

Edited by jmegas1