Exchange 2010 For Retrospect 7.7 Sbs Premium

Hello Retrospect Support,

We purchased Retrospect 7.7 SBS Premium and have been anxiously awaiting the final roll-out of and support for Exchange 2010. I downloaded and installed the latest build (7.7.533) and was happy to see Exchange 2010 is now fully supported; however, I still cannot back up our Exchange 2010.

My licensing shows Exchange 2003-2007 0 used, 1 available / with another line for Exchange 2003-2010 showing (not licensed)

Can you tell me what steps I need to take to back up our Exchange Server 2010?

Thanks much,

Paul

We have purchased Windows SBS 2011 (Exchange 2010) x2

and Retrospect SBS Standard 7.7 WIN x2

we install both into two machines; saying version 7.7.553; Unfortunately the exchange / mailboxes are grey out.

Any one has successfully able to backup first storage database or individual mailboxes ????

had a look at the Roxio website and read this:

Microsoft Exchange Server Agent 7.7

Provides precise, hot backup of Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, 2007, and 2003. Can perform full, differential, or log/incremental backups at a database, individual mailbox, and message level to speed backup operations. Automatically restores an Exchange server to a specific point in time.

The following versions of Microsoft Exchange Server are supported:

Microsoft Exchange Server 2010, 2007, and 2003

Microsoft Small Business Server 2011, 2008, and 2003 – see note below*

*Note: To protect a computer running Microsoft Exchange Server on Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2003, 2008, or 2011, purchase Retrospect Small Business Server Premium Edition or Retrospect Small Business Server Standard Edition. These editions are designed specifically for use with Windows Small Business Server and include the Retrospect Exchange Server Agent.

It doesn't specify that it only does up to 2007 and the website states in the star on the product image as below:

http://www.roxio.com/enu/products/retrospect/retrospect-win/add-ons.html

Has the website been UPDATED ???? anyone please advise...

1) If you check the license manager in Retrospect, does it show an available exchange 2010 license?

2) make sure you follow this document as well as the exchange authentication info found in the user's guide:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000042RT&PARAMS=set-locale=en

**I think the point being made by the two entries here is that support for Exchange 2010 is within our purchased version (albeit a sub-sub incremental release), and it appears as though Roxio's Retrospect customers are hoping to get what we thought we paid for. *Definitely very disappointed in Roxio's positon on this issue so far.

If you purchased Retrospect or an exchange add-on in the last month or so, you can qualify for a free upgrade to add Exchange 2010 support. But at no point did Roxio/Retrospect ever announce or describe the prior versions as including Exchange 2010 support.

User's who have an ASM license for the Exchange Add-on also qualify for a free upgrade.

Thanks...

It is only for 2007 add-ons on exchange lic.

the 2010 add-ons does not have license from lic manager section

I have tried to use and create a new user called RBU with specific member based on the link that you gave.

we purchased two retrospect sbs standard 7.7 Win with Two Windows Small Business Standard 2011 standard.

I installed to both servers, both servers showing grey out on exchange. whenever I click it, it asked the license. I put the same license the one i used for installation but no luck.

we purchased two retrospect sbs standard 7.7 Win with Two Windows Small Business Standard 2011 standard.

I am not totally sure what you purchased. If you purchased add-on licenses for Exchange 2010 or 7.7 SBS version after we released the 2010 support then those license codes should show up in the license manager as available 2010 licenses.

If you have an existing exchange server licensed, you can try to release the license and add it again.

I would suggest you call tech support and have them confirm you own the correct type of license for your exchange server.

• 2 months later...

1) If you check the license manager in Retrospect, does it show an available exchange 2010 license?

2) make sure you follow this document as well as the exchange authentication info found in the user's guide:

http://kb.roxio.com/search.aspx?URL=/content/000042RT&PARAMS=set-locale=en

The instructions given in the KB indicate the need to install the C++ package on Exchange 2007. I am trying to backup Exchange 2010. Do I need to install this package?

Quote from KB:

"Exchange 2007 & 2010 Required Components: You must be using a 64 bit version of Exchange 2007 & 2010. Retrospect requires components in the Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Package (x64) be installed on the machine running Exchange Server 2007 in order to successfully back up the server. To install these components select the "Install Exchange Server 2007 Support" button in the Retrospect application installer."

When I attempt to perform the backup of my Exchange databases I get the following VSS errors on the Exchange server:

Event ID: 8194

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:

Gathering Writer Data

Context:

Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}

Writer Name: System Writer

Writer Instance ID: {bb18959e-894d-47fd-b8b2-a22aa665ed40}

Event ID: 9840

An attempt to prepare the database 'DATABASENAME' for backup failed because the database is already in the process of being backed up. The error code is -2403. (Note that if a backup was recently aborted, then it may take several minutes for the system to detect the aborted backup and initiate backup cleanup procedures, so this message may be generated if an attempt was made to backup a database before a previous backup attempt had fully terminated.)

In Retrospect I get the following error:

- 7/7/2011 12:39:11 AM: Copying DATABASENAME on emailserver

Backup type: Full

T-9: MapError: unknown Windows error -1,017

Trouble reading files, error -1004 ( Database Backup/Restore error)

7/7/2011 12:46:33 AM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 2 files, 170.4 GB

Completed: 0 files, zero KB

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:07:22 (00:05:43 idle/loading/preparing)

Backups of individual mailboxes appears to be working fine. The issue occurs when I attempt to backup the entire database. I have followed the instructions in the KB aside from the C++ package install. I also had to make the RBU user a member of "Organization Management" in order to get the databases and mailboxes to show up in the Retrospect volumes database.

Please me let know if additional permissions need to be assigned that were not listed in the KB. Also let me know if the C++ package is required for Exchange 2010 backups.

Event ID: 8194

Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface. hr = 0x80070005. This is often caused by incorrect security settings in either the writer or requestor process.

Operation:

Gathering Writer Data

Context:

Writer Class Id: {e8132975-6f93-4464-a53e-1050253ae220}

Writer Name: System Writer

Writer Instance ID: {bb18959e-894d-47fd-b8b2-a22aa665ed40}

In my experience, this first error doesn't actually mean anything. It shows up on every other client server, and backups proceed successfully on them. I did, however, stop this event from showing up on my Exchange 2010 server by trying the fix in the very last post on this page: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/vss-error-showing-in-event-viewer/34b62c1b-93e6-4848-a9a0-59e3f4019ebb

• Like 1