Win 7 Won't Start After Restore

Hi Folks,

This is a continuation of another thread (http://forums.support.roxio.com/topic/72936-restoring-windows-7/). But given that there were so many and diverse problems there, I felt that this one would get lost in the mess, and hence I'm starting a new thread for this particular issue.

I've restored my Win 7 Pro x64 installation from scratch after a loss of my old drive. I put the drive to the factory state, and then restored the volume over that (restoring the system state, registry, security info, etc). I did use 7.7 for my backups (though it may be that earlier snapshots had been made with 7.6 before upgrading - not sure). When I restore, the retrospect emergency recovery CD tells me that it will delete everything on the OS and System partitions. After the restore (which seems to go well, except for a couple thousand -1101 errors), i end up with a 1199 MB system partition and the computer will not boot. Startup repair is unable to fix the issue.

I'm wondering if there's any way I might go about restoring the system without screwing up the System partition? Perhaps if I get the factory state on the drive and then hide the system partition before restoring the volume? I'm just not sure. Any ideas are *very* welcome. Thanks y'all.

allie

The -1101 errors could be an important factor in this. What types of files specifically are getting those errors? What exactly does the log say?

Thanks for the reply, mayoff. I don't have the logs, but from what I remember, there were lots of ".lnk" files from the start menu, and also what seemed to be lots of files I probably had deleted and shouldn't have been in the snapshot at all. For example, lots of programs installed by default by lenovo, that i had surely deleted.

Perhaps it has something to do with retrospect restoring over a default windows 7 install? Perhaps it's an interaction between the fact that some files already exist on the drive (due to restoring over the default windows install), and my having checked the "restore permissions for existing files" options? not sure, but the number of errors and the number of already-existing files seems remarkably similar.

Also, an update re: the system partition: 1199 MB is actually the right size for lenovo computers, as it turns out, since they put alot of their own stuff in there in addition to windows boot stuff.

Edited by luckycharms

Holy Crap - it seems to have worked! Windows 7 Pro x64 is now booting, and the system seems to be in relatively good health after rebooting!

Here's what I had to do:

1) Install the factory image on the laptop drive

2) run "format /Q C:" from a command prompt in a CD-booted environment to clear out the windows OS partition (that's where all the -1101 errors were coming from. Better to just let retrospect put *all* the files back onto the drive itself rather than having it leave some, delete some, reassign security info on the files, etc).

3) Restore the drive with the default settings (using the Advanced screen, though i doubt it's different than using the wizard)

and voila!

thanks everyone for your help! now let's just hope all the virtual screws and in the right places, etc.

best,

allie

ugh - scratch that. the comp worked for about an hour. installed some updates, and BANG! it all went to pot. I'm reinstalling windows and all my programs, and will just use retrospect to get my data back. (and i'll be looking for another backup program after this! no offense of course, but if my backup doesn't work to get my system back up and running again, why would i stick with it?)