Error -557 ( Transaction Already Complete)

This bug surfaces by just setting up a backup of a remote Windows computer and using any selector... The most basic scenario possible, unless I'm missing something.

Well, you might be right, but wouldn't Aaron have run into that problem as well? Or is this only happening with certain versions of Windows clients? I mean there are no real numbers on how many users actually run into this problem because it might only happen in a certain and particular situation.

Still I would also like to see some information like a changelog and known issues before downloading an update. If only because it would save a lot of time when you run into a problem when testing software before deployment in a production setting.

For the record, I've run into these issues with EVERY install of 7.7.553 I've tried. I've rolled them all back except one server which backs up Exchange 2010 database and mailboxes only. I don't think it had much internal testing to be honest, but I welcome the Exchange 2010 support over nothing. :-)

Hmm, in that case it's probably a situation Roxio needs to learn from. I mean if it's so easy to trigger the problem it would consist of u huge "oooops". :blink:

Now I'm really glad I didn't spend time on testing this version.

*Besides that, I now feel I bit weird defending Roxio, if it's such an obvious bug...*

I have had a host of these problems (-557 error, T36, T44, map error, WMI repository, unknown windows error, etc) on the Vista 32 bit box. With Vista 32 clients, nothing works using Retrospect 7.7.533. But with a Win 7 64 client, it's fine. Version 7.7.533 also seems to run fine on my Win 7-64 box with win 7-64 clients. But I have to agree with some of the other posts - the .533 version is seriously flawed and the older .341 version should be left on the update server for now. $70 for a download, really now! Sounds about as reasonable Continuous Backup Professional, announced May 2008, bought for $89 in June 2009, and discontinued within a year with Retrospect's sale to Roxio. So why is it that I can download umpteen versions of NVIDIA drivers for my graphics card and we can't download older versions of a supposedly "Professional" product from Roxio? I guess we can only be grateful for Robin Mayoff's heads up. I just wonder how the next 17 years are going to play out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

This -557 error is a bug. Our engineers have fixed this along with a bogus 1017 error. We will have a bug fix release out within a month. Until then, users may need to downgrade to the prior version to avoid the error.

An news on the update. 7.7.533 was totally unusable for me and had to downgrade. Edited by gfowler

I hope they are a bit 'on track' with their delivery date of the upcoming bug fix/update. I always appreciate Robin's information about estimated delivery of these. However, going by the reactions from some users it can be a bit 'dangerous' providing such estimates and not delivering them in time. Chances are somebody is going to use that against Robin and thus resulting we do not get any information of that kind in the future... which would be worse.

Still, I'm waiting as well on a useable update, as even the older 7.7.325 version, which is the most stable 'current' version for our LTO4 tape drives, does have at least one annoying tape verify bug that only seems to surface under certain circumstances.

Thanks Robin,

I'm going to bite the bullet and install it now, so we'll get some feedback over the weekend as we are running a lot of scripts during that time.

So it's version 7.7.562 now: http://www.roxio.com/enu/support/retrospect/software_updates.html

In-application updating seems to work as well.

Also is there a 'fixed & known problems' list available?

We have not had a chance to update the website yet, but the info is below:

ROXIO RETROSPECT 7.7 RELEASE NOTES

This document lists the changes made for Roxio Retrospect 7.7 for Windows. Note that Build 562 marks a change in bug tracking databases and the bug numbering format. Change descriptions will also now include more detail than with previous releases.

FIXES IN ROXIO RETROSPECT 7.7 BUILD 562

--64-bit versions of Retrospect capable of running multiple concurrent executions can now run up to 16 executions simultaneously. The limit was previously 8 executions.

RET-235: Fixed a crash (elem.cpp-1138 assert) that could occur when Retrospect sent a cleaning cycle command to a tape library while another operation was running.

RET-4656: Fixed a cosmetic issue where Retrospect could show -1 Exchange Agent licenses available.

RET-4657: Fixed a bug where assigning an Exchange 2003-2010 Agent license to an Exchange 2010 server would cause Retrospect to decrement the number of Exchange 2003-2007 licenses available.

RET-4673: Fixed a bug where Retrospect would ask the user twice when the release of an Exchange Server Agent license was canceled.

RET-4683: Fixed a bug where backing up Public Folder Mailboxes could intermittently result in "can't read, error -3405 (unknown)."

RET-4686: Corrected a cosmetic issue with non-English-language versions that caused Exchange Servers to be listed in the script overview window as "Exchange Server Exchange Server [server Name]."

RET-4687: Fixed a bug that prevented the Backup Wizard from being able to create Backup Set on the boot volume, resulting in a "couldn't create folder c:\ error -1 (unknown)" response.

RET-4692: Made a change to truncate Assert Logs >256 KB when using Retrospect's built-in support log submission send tool.

RET-4698: Fixed a bug that prevented Retrospect from mounting an unmounted, recovered Exchange mailbox database.

RET-4700: Changed the way memory is accessed to prevent an out of memory crash (tmemory.cpp-382 assert) with the 32-bit version of Retrospect.

RET-5367: Fixed a problem where the Retrospect Launcher service could prevent an update install from completing on Windows 7.

RET-5368: Fixed a bug that caused Retrospect to attempt to backup deleted mailboxes on an Exchange Server.

RET-5372: Fixed a bug that could cause Retrospect to generate "Error -1017 (insufficient permissions)" when backing up certain system state components (such as the COM+ Registration database or IIS metabase) from a client computer.

RET-5373: Fixed a bug where Retrospect could fail to back up the Removable Storage Manager on a client computer and generate "error -557 (transaction already complete)."

RET-5393: Fixed a bug that prevented the deletion of add-on license codes.

RET-5394: Fixed a License Manager bug that caused added Exchange 2003-2010 license codes to show up as Exchange 2003-2007 license codes and prevent licensing agents for Exchange Server 2010.

RET-5398: Fixed a bug that could cause Retrospect to show up twice in Windows' Add/Remove Programs window.

RET-5409: Fixed a License Manager bug that could prevent an Exchange 2003 or 2007 server from being unlicensed.

RET-5410: Fixed a serious data loss bug that rendered Incremental/Differential/Log backups of Exchange Server 2010 databases useless for restores. (Note: This bug only impacted Exchange Server 2010 backups. See also RET-5421 below.)

RET-5418: Added recognition for Fujitsu ETERNUS LT xx family tape libraries.

RET-5421: Added functionality to automatically force a new full backup of all Exchange Server 2010 databases to provide known good restore points. (Note: This fix mitigates the data loss failure from RET-5410 above.)

Thanks Robin,

Updating worked without problems. I hope tape handing will be better with this version. It just started the first backup script and this seems to work correctly. However that's 'just' a D2D. Tomorrow morning it will do a D2T and we have been having problems with that specific script. It does say it verifies but it actually takes zero time. :blink:

We'll see, I'll report back, especially if I run into a problem.

So far everything has worked according to spec. Even the tape drive works like it should, but at this time I can't say it's better than 7.7.325, but it's certainly not worse. There is still the issue the tape will not be ejected by any script, only pressing the eject button in Storage Devices > Status will eject the tape.

Beware, we use plain vanilla Retrospect Multi Server without any options like Open File Backup, SQL or Exchange Agent, so YMMV.

The new version scripts are running on Windows 7 machines, but still appear to fail on Windows Vista 32. On Vista 32 machines the initial file copy works, but now I am getting error -519 (network error) when it tries to verify. Windows application logs on the Windows 7 machine and on the Vista machines now list application error 1, for which the description is:

The description for Event ID 1 from source Retrospect cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

My guess is all is still not well with the new version. And no - I am not a Newbie - I have used Retrospect since the early nineties.

Guest gourami

I just upgraded to the latest version (from update page)and it works fine on the installed machine BUT when I tried to do a recycle Backup to my client machine it quits and gives a -577 error. I reinstalled the client software --- same problem. I noticed that one file kept shutting down retrospect and I deleted the file. Retrospect then quit even sooner 5 minutes into the backup Vs 28 minutes. The incremental backups on the client were working fine but a net mackup, or recycled backup causes the program to quit and give the -577 error. Is this now a client bug?????

The new version scripts are running on Windows 7 machines, but still appear to fail on Windows Vista 32. On Vista 32 machines the initial file copy works, but now I am getting error -519 (network error) when it tries to verify. Windows application logs on the Windows 7 machine and on the Vista machines now list application error 1, for which the description is:

The description for Event ID 1 from source Retrospect cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

My guess is all is still not well with the new version. And no - I am not a Newbie - I have used Retrospect since the early nineties.

@ BasV > We have mostly Win 7 x64 Ultimates running besides Win 2008 (x64 / R2) servers and OSX machines. Rarely we get the -519 error. But we do have a couple of Vista's (x64) running, as well as an XP or two. So far I didn't see the problem you are facing. Could it be a network driver problem for your Vista x32's?

I just upgraded to the latest version (from update page)and it works fine on the installed machine BUT when I tried to do a recycle Backup to my client machine it quits and gives a -577 error. I reinstalled the client software --- same problem. I noticed that one file kept shutting down retrospect and I deleted the file. Retrospect then quit even sooner 5 minutes into the backup Vs 28 minutes. The incremental backups on the client were working fine but a net mackup, or recycled backup causes the program to quit and give the -577 error. Is this now a client bug?????

Can't confirm your experience on our equipment. Maybe it would be better to describe your problems and configuration in more detail?

Guest gourami

Can't confirm your experience on our equipment. Maybe it would be better to describe your problems and configuration in more detail?

Both machines are running Win 7 32 bit. The problem is that the client stops anf gives a -577 error whenever you do a recycle or 'new" backup with retrospect &.7.5XX and latest client. It stoped 28 min into the backup at a perticular file each time. I removed that file and the bachup then stops 8 min into the backup at a different file.

the workaround seems to go back to V 7.7.203. there is either a bug in retrospect or it does not work well with the current client. I am NOT a newbie. I have been using Retrospect since 2005

Both machines are running Win 7 32 bit. The problem is that the client stops anf gives a -577 error whenever you do a recycle or 'new" backup with retrospect &.7.5XX and latest client. It stoped 28 min into the backup at a perticular file each time. I removed that file and the bachup then stops 8 min into the backup at a different file.

the workaround seems to go back to V 7.7.203. there is either a bug in retrospect or it does not work well with the current client. I am NOT a newbie. I have been using Retrospect since 2005

We don't use that version of Win 7 here, so I can't confirm. But it seems plausible there is another issue at stake. Did you run a CHKDSK? Also it's possible a virus-scanner is causing the behaviour you are seeing. You could try the uninstall en reinstall the client. Seems to have worked in the past for some users with that particular error.

Guest gourami

We don't use that version of Win 7 here, so I can't confirm. But it seems plausible there is another issue at stake. Did you run a CHKDSK? Also it's possible a virus-scanner is causing the behaviour you are seeing. You could try the uninstall en reinstall the client. Seems to have worked in the past for some users with that particular error.

I ran chkdisk -- no problems; I did the client re-install --- problem persists. Not the virus scanner because it has worked before the 7.7.5xx update.

I still think there is a bug either in the client (which has not been updated in a while) or in Tetrospect. It works great when using 7.7.2. I think they have now issued two versions in a row that have been buggy 7.7.3 and 7.7.5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

We are also seeing Trouble reading files, error -557 ( transaction already complete) on 4 mailboxes on Exchange 2007

OS Retrospect is running on: Windows Server 2008 x64 R2

Retrospect Version: Multi Server version 7.7.620

Client:7.7.114

We also seeing Trouble reading files, error -523 ( service transaction error) on one mailbox.

Please provide solution.

Many Thanks