Can't back up WMI Repository, error 63184916 (unknown)

cgtyoder

Duing a proactive backup of a laptop, I have gotten this twice in two days, from the logfile:

T-29: MapError: unknown Windows error -2,147,217,406

T-29: W2dbWMIDbOp: pWMIRep->BackupREGDB failed, winerr -2147217406, error -1001

Can't back up WMI Repository, error 63184916 (unknown)

I have searched for info on this, and can't come up with anything. Can anyone shed some light here?

Using Retrospect Single Server 7.0.344, update v 7.0.12.105.

-Conrad

• 1 year later...

Using Retropsect 7.5.508 with server update and hot fix of 7.15.13.100.

I am getting WMI errors on the only XP PRO SP2 machines that I back up since the last update. All of my Server 2003 boxes, and Linux boxes are fine.

"Can't back up WMI Repository, error 45916576: is the error for one machine

"Can't back up WMI Repository, error -1101" is the error for the second.

I have ran the WMI diagnosis utility provided by microsoft and came back with no errors. Tried the backups and continued to get WMI errors.

I then tried the command lines referenced in the above articles to rebuild and then attempted another save and received the same errors.

Both machines are fully updated with the most recent applicable Microsoft updates as of this date.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The only thing I see on the XP client logs relative to WMI is the following warning:

A provider, HiPerfCooker_v1, has been registered in the WMI namespace, Root\WMI, to use the LocalSystem account. This account is privileged and the provider may cause a security violation if it does not correctly impersonate user requests

It occurs on both machines.

I was reading about it around the net and tried the FIXWMI.cmd file found here:

http://forums.microsoft.com/MSDN/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=193534&SiteID=1

Reboot both machines and attempted the save again and received:

Can't back up WMI Repository, error 35365280

I too am having the same problem with all of my XP clients.

Script: Dell

Client: DELL

Date: 2/23/2008

Can't Backup WMI Repository, error

202219916 (Unknown)

Running the latest patch for 7.5 on a Windows SBS server and latest Client on the XP sp2 systems.

I've seen this error on multiple clients. The error number is different each time.

Hi There,

I am also receiving the same error message. See Below

Can't back up WMI Repository, error 27697548 (unknown)

I am receiving this across all XP clients. This has only started since I installed the latest patch 7.5.5.508.

Is there anyway of rolling back this update, if not when will there be a update to resolve this problem.

I have also checked the Repository's on 2 machines and they were fine.

Thanks in Advance

I am having the problem on all of my XP clients. I just downloaded the release and applied it around noon today. Pretty lame that EMC didn't pull the download before 8 am, since they seemed to be aware of the bug. Can the previous release of retrospect be posted for download so that I can reinstall?

When can we expect a fix?

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

"Our engineers have confirmed a bug in the 7.5.508 code that is causing the WMI errors for users. We will make a bug fix for this soon, along with fixes for a few other bugs introduced in .508"

Any word on a fix?

BTW, what is the stance you guys are taking on this one? It sure sounds like you are saying that we are on our own to deal with the WMI issues. Since the WMI issue first occured the day that I installed .508, it can only mean one of two things:

1. The .508 install is reporting something that was already there, and retrospect was just not reporting before.

OR

2. The .508 install caused the issue.

Can you guys clarify?

Last question, we have full warranty support, so should I go that route to get the fix, or will it be made available to all?

Thanks,

Jeff

what is the stance you guys are taking on this one?

We will make a bug fix for this soon, along with fixes for a few other bugs introduced in .508.

If you need an immediate solution, you can downgrade Retrospect to the .387 version. Users only need .508 if you are doing a backup of Exchange 2007 servers.

• 2 weeks later...

Date: 4/2/2008

Can't back up WMI Repository, error 34578848 (unknown)

I have been getting this error daily on all my machines since the upgrade. It looks like a new upgrade is being released today. I will report back if that fixed the error.

Archived