"did not fee up enough space" error

wynnwill

I'm using Retrospect 7.0.326 with Windows XP home to do a daily backup of my C: drive onto an external 160 GByte USB hard disk(E:). Things went fine for several weeks until the external disk got full. I groomed it to keep the last 5 backups, and seem to have freed up about half of the disk: when I go to the properties box of windows explorer it shows used space of 84,191,272,960 bytes and free space of 79,722,074,112 bytes on drive E: The folder containing the backup set (called "Lucy 165") contains 83,737,452,544 bytes according to Windows Explorer.

But when I try to run a new backup I get the message that there is no space available on the disk. Specifically it says:

"Please select a new disk...

It will be named "2-Lucy 165"

Lucy 165 wsa grromed but that did not free up enough space.

(About 3.1 G remaining to store)

"

If I go to Configure Backup Sets - [select t"Lucy 165"] - then look at the Summary tab it says "Used: 153 G for 387,865 files. Likewise if I go to the "Members" tab it says that the size of the backup set is 153 GBytes and that there is only 12k (0%) available.

If I go to the "Snapshots" tab it lists 6 recent backups, including the one that didn't finish.

It looks to me as if the grooming process successfully groomed my backup set down to 84 Gbytes, but the fact that the backup set was reduced in size has not properly registered somewhere within Retrospect.

What can I do to convince Retrospect that it should continue adding backups into the empty 79 Mbytes of the external disk?

I've tried this several times, by the way.

Thanks

Gareth Wynn-Williams

University of Hawaii

Hi Gareth,

First, please ensure that you have the 7.0.12.105 driver update for Retrospect 7.0. There were a few adjustments made to increase the reliability of grooming. You can get the update here:

http://emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/updates/retrospect/archive/#UPDATETYPE41

Second, you have shown that the backup set was indeed groomed, and that this grooming was not succesfully reported to the catalog file for whatever reason. The catalog file is what Retrospect reads to determine the status of each backup set. What you should do is have Retrospect recreate the catalog file so that its contents reflect the state of the backup accurately. You can do this from Tools>Repair Catalog>Recreate from disks. Then point Retrospect to the correct disk containing your backup. Make sure that you get the update first, or you will have to rebuild the catalog again in order to groom.

Foster: thanks for your advice, which did the trick. I recreated the catalog and Retrospect now accesses the rest of the drive. I've updated the driver as you advise and I hope that this will prevent the problem from recurring.

RonaldL: I purged my computer of all Norton products over a year ago after ""GoBack" rendered my hard disk completely unreadable!

Archived