A way to safely test a DRecovery in advance

Suggestion for Retrospect Backup Express:

According to posts I've read in other forums here you cannot proceed with the DRecover

past the screen that asks you which drive/partition you want to restore to without having to

restore everything in the backup set.

RBE needs to have a mechanism that allows you to go through the entire disaster recovery process and actually restore at least one file to the disk so you can be sure it will work in advance of having to do it. So there are no unpleasant surprises!

Recently I had to do a DR and it went all the way to the point of copying the files from the

cd-rw drive before failing because RBE couldn't "see" any backup device attached.

I had no way to know this in advance. Everything worked when I created the DR set.

thanks

• 2 months later...

I agree. What good is a backup unless you can verify it's quality? I worry about this a lot, as will anyone who has ever tried a disaster recovery only to find out there was a problem with the backup in question. With XP it's almost impossible to verify, because you can't do a test restore to a dummy machine. The closest I've come to a workaround to this problem is doing a test restore to a different partition on the same machine, but that tactic isn't really supported the retrospect product (see my posts in the express section) and you have to jump through a lot of undocumented hoops to make it work.

Archived