Linux as a client

I need to back up one Linux client in mixed MacOS and Windows environment. I'm planning to put Retrospect Server edition on W2K Pro station, and run incremental backups every night. How relaxed my Linux user could be regarding her data and configuration integrity?

How well does Retrospect handle UNIX permissions? Does it need root to get everything, for the case of barebone restore? Are there any known problems with open files?

If somebody can share the experience, it will be greatly appreciated. I'm definitely not a *nix guru...

Currently we do not have Linux Client. This is something that we hope to implement in the future.

You also asked:

How well does Retrospect handle UNIX permissions? Does it need root to get everything, for the case of barebone restore? Are there any known problems with open files?

Retrospect runs as root when it runs automatically. It will automatically be able to access Unix permissions (if you mean those in OSX). Otherwise, we do not have a client for a straight UNIX box yet either, and you will not be able to backup this machine fully.

Archived