Error -1017 Retrospect for Windows permission errors

alabad

the Dantz knowledgebase solution didn' work i always get these errors of insufficient permsission , i am using Retrospect 7.5 updated, Windows XP profissional, using notebook duo centrino , every thing is liscensed. how come i cant't take backup of my whole system , i am very disappointed, i faced this problem since i updated my software 6.5

i appreciate any help and response , great from the Dantz technical support

thanks

ahmad

Ahmad,

I feel your pain... I get the same error when my system tries to run a scrip to backup files on my network attached storage device (Buffalo TerraStation). If I try to start the script using the Run menue without restarting Retrospect, I get a logon prompt which doesn't accept any of my user accounts. The funny thing is the same scrip runs fine if I shut down Retrospect, restart it, and use the Run menue to start the script again!

Regarding your problem... try going into your backup settings and make sure the "Backup File Security Information from Workstation" option is OFF. To access this go to Manage Scripts and click the Options button, then select Security. When I had this on I got Chunk File errors.

I agree V2.5 seems buggy! I have also been having problems with my config file getting corrupted. When this happens I can't get the Activity Monitor to display until I delte an replace the "G:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Retrospect\Config75.dat" file. It realy sucks that EMC doesn't have a bug hotline or free e-mail support. THIS IS ONE AREA MICROSOFT DOES WELL!

Hope this helps.

David Witteried

Foster

that is exact copy of errors from the log file:

-01-09-2006 10:49:31 PM: Copying IBM_PRELOAD (C:)

File "C:\DRIVERS\1qkcb0ww.exe": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\DRIVERS\7fuy03bw.exe": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\DRIVERS\7FF102WW\version.txt": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\DRIVERS\tvtrnr31_1017ar\tvtrnr31_1017en.txt": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\DRIVERS\WIN\WLANINT\ACSETUP.EXE": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\I386\AUTOCHK.EXE": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

File "C:\I386\MSTASK.INF": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

Ahmad

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am having the exact same problem as Ahmad. I am trying to backup my office computers over the network onto our backup server. It did run and did back up a lot of information but had about 500 errors just for 3 computers. I am mapped to the computers from the server and have the permissions to do anything. Are there any specific things that I need to change in the retrospect settings or on my computers so I won't get hundreds of "insufficent permissions" errors each time I back up?

hi ahmad,

IFM's problem is _only_ network related though. i've recommended he use the Retrospect Client to backup machines on the network.

FWIW i did not get from your posts that you had a network problem also. the only log posted has entries like:

File "C:\DRIVERS\1qkcb0ww.exe": can't read, error -1017 (insufficient permissions)

have you tried the Retrospect Client for your network problems?

cheers.

hi ahmad,

i'm not sure i follow exactly, but it sounds like you are getting the 1017 errors when backing up through a Retrospect Client. i definitely think Foster was on the right path with the 'Volume Shadow Copy'. you indictate that the VSS service may not be running ("in the stopped state"), can you get it to run?

cheers.

Hi, new user here. I'm getting the same errors, and can't seem to figure out why, and have found an indirect solution (not really, see below) to the problem of Windows Permission error.

My simple situation:

Two computers, both running Windows XP (one Home, one Pro), in workgroup (no domain)

Computer A has shared folder: \\CompA\FolderA (full permissions-- anyone can access/modify)

Computer B is running Retrospect. I have script to replicate some files from Computer B over to shared folder of Computer A (\\CompA\FolderA). Simple right? Sidenote: Computer A (destination machine with shared folder) also has Retrospect installed (not client), but never open or running.

Even though I can use Explorer to access \\CompA\FolderA from Computer B, never requiring a login or permissions whatsoever, Retrospect cannot and will not let me access that shared folder without asking for a login, and then ignoring any valid login I put in there, and giving me "permission errors".

Here's the *solution* (that's not really a solution), but I'd like to know why...

Computer A also had a Retrospect 7.0 running on it (for reasons of doing it's own backups at one time), but not installed as client. It was never running. Once I uninstalled Retrospect from Computer A, Computer B Retrospect had no problems replicating files to Computer A's Shared folder, never asking for logins or anything.

Why would just the existance of Retrospect on Computer A prevent Computer B's Retrospect from accessing a shared folder in a workgroup??? It works everytime, unattended. However if I re-install Retrospect (server) back on that other machine and not use it, same issues reappear.

Thanks for any reason behind this, or any input. This is very frustrating for being unable to access a shared folder and replicate files. I would like to have Retrospect running on each computer for their own individual reasons, controlling their own backups to different destinations, thus not using a Retrospect Server to control it all. But if one Retrospect tries to work with a shared folder on another Retrospect machine, these errors happen.

Thanks so much for any clues...

Archived