Where is the Retrospect 7.5.320 Installer?

dg27

I noticed that there is an update for 7.5.1, which I'd like to install on two desktops.

The update option from within the program [from "Help/Updates" on the toolbar] didn't work. I get an acknowledgment that there is an update, but when I try to download it to my desktop the dialogue box flashes very quickly and no file is downloaded.

After this failed I went to the EMC site, where the update is also listed. However there's a notice that says you must first download and install the new Retrospect 7.5.320 Installer, but there's no link or file from what I can see.

Has anyone else run into this? shocked.gif

dg

Yup, getting this error in the log:

+ Executing Download Retrospect Update version: 7.5.320 at 8/26/2006 10:01 PM (Temporary Execution unit 2)

Current Retrospect Update version: 7.5.285

Preparing to execute...

Downloading installer Retro-EN_7_5_320au.exe

Downloading to folder C:\Download\Dantz

error -596 (http server or the proxy server is unavailable)

Execution incomplete

Exit at 8/26/2006 10:01 PM

I can't find it anywhere either.

I tried to install the update and haven't been able to backup ever since: Could this be the reason? I have another post regarding this, just posted [08/27/06].

I should point out that I have two installations. The machine on which I cannot get Retrospect to run is the one on which I tried to install this update: It actually started but then stopped--there was a reference to it on the error log. I couldn't try to install this update my other machine because the installer was gone by then and the program is running fine on that one.

dg

Quote:

I noticed that there is an update for 7.5.1, which I'd like to install on two desktops.

The update option from within the program [from "Help/Updates" on the toolbar] didn't work. I get an acknowledgment that there is an update, but when I try to download it to my desktop the dialogue box flashes very quickly and no file is downloaded.

After this failed I went to the EMC site, where the update is also listed. However there's a notice that says you must first download and install the new Retrospect 7.5.320 Installer, but there's no link or file from what I can see.

Has anyone else run into this?
shocked.gif

dg

7.5.1 is an older version, not an update. The current one has been 7.5.285, and that 7.5.320 should be the newest version. But, as you say, there is no link to it.

So, if there are backup & encryption bugs with update 7.5.320, what are those of us to do who promptly upgraded to 320 and who also rely on encrypted backup sets?

Do the 320 problems affect passworded sets that are not specifically encrypted?

Will the 320 problems corrupt our current backups made with 320 so that they will NOT be correctly read by earlier (or later) versions should we be able to regress to an earlier version or use a later one in the future?

Pulling a bugged version is a major action that requires immediate bulletins and advice from the vendor as to what to do with the damage they can create - especially when dealing with a security product!!! I have not received any! Has anyone else?

As I noted in my prior post. The problem is only related to File Backup Sets using encryption which most users do not use anymore.

Also, you will get a clear error in the log when using an encrypted File Backup Set that is having a problem.

No other backup set types are effected.

As always, if you check your log regularly for errors and do not see an error then you have nothing to be worried about.

Users of Retrospect 7.5.320 encrypting Backup Sets may encounter "Bad Backup Set Header" errors in the Operations Log during backup or restore. These errors will only appear during backup if the Verification option is turned on. Data written to an encrypted Backup Set using 7.5.320 may be corrupt and may not be restorable in the future.

If you are using encrypted Backup Sets with Retrospect 7.5.320 we recommend you do the following:

1) Uninstall Retrospect 7.5.320 using add and remove programs

2) Download and Reinstall Retrospect 7.5.285:

http://download.dantz.com/archives/Retro-EN_7_5_285.exe

All Retrospect preferences are preserved during this downgrade and no configuration information will be lost.

EMC Insignia is working to quickly resolve this problem. An updated version of Retrospect 7.5 will be available through the Automatic Updates feature as soon as the "Bad Backup Set Header" error has been resolved.

Mayoff:

I apologize--I just checked and I have 7.5.285, Driver Update and Hotfix 7.5.5.103.

I also checked my Documents and Settings and discovered three Catalog files, C, D, and E, which are 16,744 KB, 16,816 KB, and 4 KB, respectively.

However, in the backup destination folder there is no folder for E @ all, C is empty, and D is 814 KB.

I'm not sure what's going on but will try to run a backup again.

dg

Thanks. Bbut I was more specifically asking:

Is a Backup Set set with a Password but without specific Encryption, also considered "encrypted" and subject to this bug? I ask this because since you cannot access a passworded back up set without a password, it could be viewed by some as "encrypted".

This is very important since it determines if our entire back up is now trash!

This encryption issue needs to be emailed IMMEDIATELY to all Retro owners since the problem destroys all their backups!!!!!! I did not see such a bulletin!

Thanks.

As previously noted, I am using Retro 7-5-320 with password but no encryption. My backup last night just failed on the 3rd (and by far the largest partition) of the three that I back up. It hung hard while about 50% through verifying the 3rd partition. After 8 hours of no activity, I axed the process.

Is this the problem for which 320 was pulled? If so ...

1. It looks like passwords w/o explicit encryption are, indeed, subject to the bug.

2. When the 320 bug arises, does that mean the entire backup needs to be trashed?

3. If 1 is true, the do I need to recycle (ie, delete) and recreate my shole backup scratch? It contains a backup of my laptop's business files that is in repair and there is no other copy of the data!!!!!!

Argh!

Hi,

The file backup set encryption bug in the .320 build only affects encrypted backup sets, so, again, you are not prone to this bug. Since Retrospect hung you probably do not have any errors in the operations log. You should start a new thread in the appropriate troubleshooting forum.

If you are backing up to encrypted file, tape, or CD/DVD Backup Sets using version 7.5.320 of Retrospect for Windows or Retrospect Express for Windows, some files in those Backup Sets may be corrupt and unable to be restored. NOTE: This issue does not affect Backup Sets that have a password, but are not encrypted (Password Only Backup Set Security)

In order to make sure all your files are protected, you should update to the latest version (7.5.324) of Retrospect or Retrospect Express. You can update either from within the application, or by going to the EMC Insignia web site.

To update from within Retrospect or Retrospect Express:

1) Go to the Retrospect Help menu, choose Retrospect Updates.

2) In the Retrospect Updates dialog, click Check Now.

3) Click Install to download and install the latest update (7.5.324).

Once you have the update installed, you may or may not need to take additional steps to protect your data.

You do not need to take any additional steps if you:

- Never backed up using version 7.5.320 of Retrospect or Retrospect Express

- Or, never used version 7.5.320 to back up files to an encrypted file, tape, or CD/DVD Backup Set

- Or, used version 7.5.320 to back up files to an encrypted file, tape, or CD/DVD Backup Set, but had the verification option (Thorough or Media) turned on and never received any "Bad Backup Set header" error messages

You do need to take additional steps if you:

- Backed up using version 7.5.320 of Retrospect of Retrospect Express

- And, backed up files to an encrypted file, tape, or CD/DVD Backup Set

- And, either had the verification option (Thorough or Media) turned off, or had the verification option turned on and received "Bad Backup Set header" error messages.

If you performed backups to an encrypted file, tape, or CD/DVD Backup Set with version 7.5.320 and verification was turned on (the default), and you received "Bad Backup Set header" error messages, the latest version will automatically recopy any files that were corrupted in previous backups.

If you performed backups to an encrypted file, tape, or CD/DVD Backup Set with version 7.5.320 and had verification turned off, then you should do the following:

1) Go to Tools>Verify and verify any encrypted Backup Sets you backed up to using version 7.5.320.

2 If Retrospect reports bad Backup Set header errors for any files, you should back those files up again. Retrospect will automatically recopy any files that received errors.

If you have any questions about this process, please contact our technical support at the following URL:

http://www.emcinsignia.com/supportupdates/contactsupport

Archived