Hang during device scan

Hi,

I've just installed v6.5 on a new Dell Server with a PERC raid controller. When I click on "Device" a SCSI bus scan begins and hangs the app immediately.

I think I've read of a way of excluding SCSI ids from the device scan via a config option, but can't find anything on the interface..

Any help greatly appreciated !

Rauf

Not sure if it's helpful because of the difference in platforms, but I had this exact issue with Retrospect 6.1 on our Macintosh Xserve G5 with an ATTO UL4D SCSI card. The only resolution was to put the Retrospect tape drives (Sony DAT and Exabyte SCSI VXA-2 with autoloader) on their own SCSI channel of the ATTO UL4D, with disk drives used by the OS (one was a RAID 1 mirror of the OS volume) on the other SCSI channel of the ATTO UL4D, away from the Retrospect devices. I suspect that Retrospect caused some sort of SCSI bus reset that causes a disk seek or transfer to be lost. No problems since. Definitely not a cable or terminator or ID issue for us, LVD SCSI.

Just a suggestion,

Russ

Hmm.. Sounds very similar.

I have a Dell Poweredge 2800 with a PERC card. I have have four drives connected in a raid 5 configuration to the PERC card.

The 2 on board scsi channels have nothing connected other than the certance ultrium 2 device.

Not sure what else to try now...

Any other ideas ?

Rauf

Hi all,

Thanks for all your help. The device scan actually completed after around 10 minutes, which I assume is some arbitrary timeout set in the software.

I then clicked the "Environment" tab - this took around 30 minutes to timeout, but showed that SCSI ID 0:0 and 0:1 were the dell virtual CD and floppy from the DRAC card which showed up despite disabling them in device manager.

Clicking the "ignore" option for each of these took around 10 minutes to complete.

I can now quit and restart retrospect and do a device scan, which completes immediately smile.gif

Thanks again for all your replies,

Rauf

Archived