disk to disk to offsite via rsync or similar

That is a cool idea -- having a Retrospect server allow for transfers from backup server to server. I'd like to see some protocol with encryption like ssh, or encryption over piton (similar to how Retrospect communicates with its clients), so the data can be transferred over an insecure network without worry.

File/backup set locking would be an issue too. Which server is using which backup set where, so that would take a little bit of thought to sort out, so race conditions won't come into play.

Then you would need Retrospect running at the other location. I would settle for something a lot less complex- On the fly compression and encryption to an offsite sftp server (at a hosting provider) using the Transfer Snapshots option would enable my clients to have a a disk to disk to offsite solution.

It would be great to integrate sftp, rsync, and/or webdav clients right into the Retrospect app. Virtual Drive utilities for these protocols don't virtualize at a low enough level for Retrospect to "see" the drive.

Archived