Can't restore from rdb files

llamero

I can't restore from backup files recovered after my back up disk was mistakenly formatted. I have a total of 534 .rdb files, about 100GB. I have no evidence of corruption of any of the other files that I've recovered with Recoverer 2000. They are all named correctly... AA000000.rdb to AA000533.rdb. I have placed them in a folder named 1-Backup set a. When I use Repair Catalog >> Recreate from disks >> Last Disk and then point to the disk or the folder containing the files I get the selected disk does not contain any backup set data files. I've tried both 7.5 pro and express 6.0 that created the files and get the same result. Given how successful the rest of my recovery was for all other files, it seems extremely unlikely to me that these are all corrupt. Any ideas on how to recover my files?

hi ll,

here is the folder hierarchy on my Disk backup set:

'E:\\Retrospect\Backup Set A\1-Backup Set A\'

and the RDB files are inside. could you try putting them in a heirarchy like that?

also, didirk is correct that you'll want to point to the Volume rather than dig down the tree. highlight the Volume and click 'OK'. if the files really are ok then Retrospect will show a window with all the Backup Sets on the drive.

Thanks Waltr,

I've tried the directory structure as you described... I get the same error message regardless of where I point... whether it's at the volume or at any of the subdirectories in the path. The only sign of life is that when I point to the retrospect folder, it generates the usual error message but returns me to the 1-Backup Set A folder. I actually have rdb files for 2 different backups that I've recovered, both have this problem.

hi ll,

at this point, i think you are going to have to call EMC Technical Support. what i think they will need to do is get an .rdb file (or maybe 2) from you and take a closer look.

this seems to be beyond what a community message board can offer, but i do wish you luck.

• 9 months later...

Assuming that the rdb file is actually not corrupt, the entire Retrospect use of file list box and the way it points to a backup set member is non-standard by any understanding of Windows. What it's actually asking for is the folder enclosing the folder named "Retrospect" not the backup set. Misunderstanding this on an occasional basis -- say incorrectly pointing to the set after receiving a notice that the backup set cannot be found -- has led my installation to have some infuriatingly goofy hierarchical structures. For example, J:\Retrospect\Main_Backup_Set\1-Main_Backup_Set

and

J:\Retrospect\Retrospect\Main_Backup_Set\2-Main_Backup_Set

as well as

J:\Retrospect\Main_Backup_Set\Retrospect\Main_Backup_Set\3-Main_Backup_Set

These can be properly sorted out but it takes time and patience and complete understanding of where that dialog points and where Retrospect "thinks" it points. Ultimately one simply asks "What was development thinking when they set it up this way?" They simply decided to make words mean what they wanted them to mean. (Every software I've used has such peculiarities.)

Archived