Backup error 3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)

OZSJ

When I try to backup Retrospect client's docs and settings I get error 3043. I can back up specific folders under c: but docs and settings or my documents fails.

- 2/08/2006 10:35:16 PM: Copying Palm on Stephen

2/08/2006 10:35:16 PM: Connected to Stephen

2/08/2006 10:35:16 PM: No files need to be copied

2/08/2006 10:35:48 PM: Snapshot stored, 49 KB

2/08/2006 10:35:49 PM: Comparing Palm on Stephen

2/08/2006 10:35:51 PM: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:00:35 (00:00:27 idle/loading/preparing)

Can't use Open File Backup option for My Documents on Stephen, error -3043 (the maximum number of Snapshots has been reached)

- 2/08/2006 10:35:53 PM: Copying My Documents on Stephen

Trouble reading files, error -519 (network communication failed)

2/08/2006 10:43:55 PM: Execution incomplete

Remaining: 7347 files, 3.1 GB

Completed: 68 files, 12.6 MB

Performance: 1.6 MB/minute

Duration: 00:08:01 (00:00:31 idle/loading/preparing)

2/08/2006 10:43:55 PM: Execution incomplete

Total duration: 00:08:39 (00:00:58 idle/loading/preparing)

Operating system is XP home.

It seams that the other folder backups under C are not working either. It only copies about 10 files and then stops. I have tried restarting the source and client. This has been a problem with only this client since I set it up about a week ago.

This client is over a wireless connection so maybe this is the problem.

I believe this error is coming from the Microsoft Shadow Copy Service. Basically Microsoft is not allowing the open file backup to work on this configuration for some reason. Does the Windows Event Log have any error messages?

How much free space to you have on the C drive of the client and server?

Damm, I have just installed a trial Retrospect on another computer and it results in the same error when copying docs and settings. Although it does manage to complete the process but with errors. Is this a possible problem with the latest version?

Quote:

Damm, I have just installed a trial Retrospect on another computer and it results in the same error when copying docs and settings. Although it does manage to complete the process but with errors. Is this a possible problem with the latest version?

Unlikely. Did the trial version back up to a new backup set? Were you backing up the same client?

Here are a few KB's on 3043:

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5224&p=2

http://kb.dantz.com/article.asp?article=5365&p=2

• 3 months later...

An idea for you...

I had a similar error on Windows XP Pro. It was caused by 'Carbonite', an online backup service that apparently also uses Shadow Copy to do its work. Apparently the real meaning of the 3043 error is that the Shadow Copy service is in use. Try using MSCONFIG to remove your other programs.

• 8 months later...

>I had a similar error on Windows XP Pro. It was caused by 'Carbonite', an online backup service that apparently also uses Shadow Copy to do its work. Apparently the real meaning of the 3043 error is that the Shadow Copy service is in use.<

Same thing here, right after I installed Carbonite, Retrospect started reporting 3043 errors every time it performs a backup. This presents a dilemma. Retrospect and Carbonite offer different backup advantages, and it is disappointing that they apparently don't behave well together (either inadvertently or by design). Choosing one over the other would be a difficult choice. WEBenet

• 3 weeks later...

I had the same errors on one of my XP Home clients. The problem in my case actually turned out to be that the Volume Shadow Copy service was set to "disabled". Going into the XP Services tool and starting up the Volume Shadow Copy service fixed the problems. I didn't take time to experiment with Automatic versus Manual to see what the right setting for that was. I just wanted to get it to work. Finally had the time to debug. Your posts here were enough to point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Archived