Retrospect 6.5 and Windows XP

meiying

I have just installed Retrospect 6.5 on Windows XP, I did a backup to the ext WD drive and then when I restarted Windows XP, Retrospect Helper Service come on and said it restored files, it had a box with 3 check marks in it. Then I hit OK and Windows XP restarted again.

But ever since then, the floppy comes on making all kinds of noise right before Windows XP finishes loading, WHY. It never did it before.

When I turn off Retrospect Helper Service, it doesnt happen, but when it is on, the floppy gets very loud for no reason at all. It drives me crazy, the floppy making all kinds of noise.

How do I make it stop.

Also Retrospect 6.5 never did this in Windows 98.

Thanks.

Not sure why it is happening, but you can turn off the helper service and set it to "manual" startup.

I do remember a but in an old version that would cause the helper to keep trying to run after a system restore. That bug was fixed in a current version.

How do you set it to "manual" startup.

I can turn off the Retrospect Helper Service in msconfig, but have to rememeber to turn it back on after a restore, if not the system really gets messed up, so rather not do that. Is there a fix or something out there. I am sure everyone with XP has the same problem.

Thanks.

hi mei,

one other thing you could try. go to 'Configure->Devices' and then to the 'Environment' tab and see if the floppy is showing up in there. if it is, highlight it and click the button in the toolbar that has the red diagonal line through it (it means 'Ignore'). if you can set Retrospect to ignore the floppy, i think this will go away. you can safely ignore any device you are not using for backup--it will not affect how anything but Retrospect uses the device.

if the floppy doesn't show up in there i'm not sure what's going on though. haven't seen this before.

Archived