MapError: unknown Windows error -2'147'467'259

Hi,

Does this error occur on the whole mailbox, or does it occur on specific messages within mailboxes? If the error corresponds to a very long hex-like number, that will indicate it's a specific message.

It says Windows error - have you checked the Windows event viewer(s) to see if there are any corresponding errors reported outside of Retrospect?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm now seeing these errors during my Exchange backup since I've upgraded the Retrospect software to 7.5.285.

They do not have the "red arrow" against them and the script is reporting that the backup is successful. There has been no change to the output in Windows Event Viewer between a run that didn't have errors and one that did.

Any ideas??? Could this been an issue introduced with 285???

Thanks,

Rich.

In addition we've offline'd our Exchange db's and check them for corruption using "eseutil."

Everything seems fine with the db's.

This issue only appear when we upgraded to 285. I'm concerned that this version has either a bug or has introduced a change that is effecting us. Is there a detailed change list between version 251 and 285??

Help please??

Rich.

Hi Rich,

What is the exact line you're seeing in your operations log? The changelog for 7.5 can be found here:

http://kb.dantz.com/display/2n/articleDirect/index.asp?aid=8331&r=0.5301935

The only Exchange related change I saw was this:

Errors scanning Microsoft Exchange mailboxes: Certain messages previously caused Retrospect to report "error -3420 (unknown)" during scanning and, as a result, halt the current execution. Now, Retrospect finishes scanning the mailbox and reports any errors in the operations log instead.

Thanks for your help. It doesn't appear to be the documented "unknown windows error"

A example (reduced) copy of the ops log is below

+ Normal backup using Server Daily Exchange Backup at 08/08/2006 02:00 (Execution unit 1)

* Resolved container Exchange Server to 1 volumes:

First Storage Group

* Resolved container Exchange Mailboxes to 6 volumes:

Administrator

Antivirus

Paul Hastie

Retrospect

Richard Hastie

<edited here..........>

To Backup Set Server Maxtor Set...

- 08/08/2006 02:00:01: Copying First Storage Group

Backup type: Full

08/08/2006 02:00:47: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 3 files, 338.1 MB, with 7% compression

Performance: 450.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:45

- 08/08/2006 02:00:47: Copying Administrator

MapError: unknown Windows error -2,147,467,259

08/08/2006 02:00:49: Snapshot stored, 12 KB

08/08/2006 02:00:54: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 11 files, zero KB, with 0% compression

Performance: 0.0 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:06 (00:00:04 idle/loading/preparing)

- 08/08/2006 02:00:54: Copying Antivirus

08/08/2006 02:00:56: Snapshot stored, 10 KB

08/08/2006 02:01:00: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:00:06 (00:00:03 idle/loading/preparing)

- 08/08/2006 02:01:00: Copying Paul Hastie

08/08/2006 02:01:21: Snapshot stored, 1,050 KB

08/08/2006 02:01:25: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 45 files, 328 KB, with 26% compression

Performance: 9.6 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:24 (00:00:21 idle/loading/preparing)

- 08/08/2006 02:01:25: Copying Retrospect

08/08/2006 02:01:27: Snapshot stored, 11 KB

08/08/2006 02:01:31: Execution completed successfully

Duration: 00:00:06 (00:00:04 idle/loading/preparing)

- 08/08/2006 02:01:31: Copying Richard Hastie

08/08/2006 02:01:36: Snapshot stored, 117 KB

08/08/2006 02:01:39: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 21 files, 27 KB, with 0% compression

Performance: 0.7 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:08 (00:00:05 idle/loading/preparing)

<edited here..............>

- 08/08/2006 02:01:48: Copying All Public Folders

08/08/2006 02:01:50: Snapshot stored, 4 KB

08/08/2006 02:01:54: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 1 files, zero KB, with 0% compression

Duration: 00:00:06 (00:00:03 idle/loading/preparing)

- 08/08/2006 02:01:56: Verifying Server Maxtor Set

08/08/2006 02:02:00: Execution completed successfully

Completed: 119 files, 339.4 MB

Performance: 20362.6 MB/minute

Duration: 00:00:04 (00:00:02 idle/loading/preparing)

08/08/2006 02:02:00: Execution completed successfully

Total duration: 00:01:58 (00:00:52 idle/loading/preparing)

Location of backup report is C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\Retrospect Backup\.

As you can see it doesn't actually "stop" the backup and I've attempt test restores and it does appear to work. The issue is just with the mailboxes. I've gone back and checked the recommendations for the user running retrospect and it meets the criteria.

Got to admit I'm now totally stumped - the error was only introduced when I upgraded so I've now got to the point of questioning whether its a bug.

Thoughts anyone?? Help appreciated.

Thanks......

Richard,

I think if this was a general issue with .285 we'd have a lot more "me too's" on this thread. Did you ensure the domain authentication that occurs when licensing Exchange was told to use the current RBU account info?

Tony,

Please start a new thread in the SQL forum if you haven't already. Getting the same error message from SQL as someone else gets from Exchange is not necessarily the same error.

Well this is getting interesting - I've manage to stop the error but I'm not entirely happy with the solution......... any additional thoughtrs would be appreciated.

Ok, the error seems to be generated when there is no logged-in RBU (or "Retrospect" in my case) user........

If I log out of the server and let RetroRun start the Retrospect process (ie. when a schedule demands it) I get the errors in the Op Log. The Retrospect process is obviously running in the background in this instance.

However, if I start a user session as RBU (or "Retrospect" in my case) and start Retrospect manually and then leave the session open (ie. don't log out) I get no map errors in the Op Log.

Can anybody explain the likely issue here??? Does Retrospect require a fully-logged in user to correctly operate???

I would apreciate any thoughts here.

It is important to note that this certainly was not the case until I installed .285. Retrospect was perfectly happy running as a background process with no issues or errors in the Op Log.

Thanks,

Rich.

Hi Richard -

It is a little unclear from your post exactly what your configuration is, but here is what I did:

Retrospect 7.5.285

Windows 2003 Server

Exchange 2003 - Installed locally to backup server

Set Retrospect to run as the domain administrator

Set Exchange to login as the domain administrator

Setup a script to backup the Exchange Server and Mailboxes to run in 2 minutes

Exited Retrospect and logged out

Logged in and checked Retrospect after backup had time to complete

Result: No errors. Everything ran perfectly

---

One thing I know that is different from your setup is that I didn't do an upgrade from an earlier version. This was a clean install of 7.5.285. I don't suspect that would be the source of the problem.

Other variables that may be different:

- Is Exchange local or on a client

- Are Retrospect and Exchange both using the same login information or different

Alex mentioned that he was running SBS - are you also running SBS? Please provide complete configuration information: OS version, Exchange version, client version (if applicable). My testing was with 2003 - not SBS, so that could be a factor.

Thanks,

Amy

AmyJ,

Appreiciate your help. Ok, I'll try and explain the configuration in as much detail as possible.

We are running the following (all on the same server)

Windows 2003 Server SP1 (plus all latest MS patches) running AD and DNS services

Exchange 2003 SP2 (including OWA and OMA) and all the latest patches and IMF updates

F-Secure AV and Spam Control (I don't think this is relevant - but included anyway)

Retrospect 7.5 Server (no client is installed on the machine - but it does backup clients over our network)

Ok. Originally Exchange was installed under the Administrator account (I know not ideal, nor Best Practice - I didn't do it)

The Administrator account has the following group rights:

Administrators

Backup Operators

Domain Admins

Domian Users

Enterprise Admins

Group Policy Creator Owners

Retmote Desktop Users

Schema Admins

Retrospect was installed and upgraded as per manual under an RBU account (we called it "Retrospect"). This account has a Mailbox and can send and recieve email. It is also obviously a domain account and not local. The Retrospect account is also a delegated administrator under Exchange. The Retrospect account has the following group rights:

Administrators

Backup Operators

Domain Admins

Domain Users

Enterprise Admins

Ok. Services wise we are configured as follows:

Retrospect Helper - set to run as Local System Account

Retrospect Launcher (aka RetroRun) - set to run as Local System Account

Finally Retrospect is configured to run as follows:

Always run Retrospect as the specified user

User: Retrospect

Password: NA

Domain: NA

Run Retrospect in the Terminal Services Session if available

Finally - This is what I'm seeing.........

1. NO ERRORS - Run locally as logged in Retrospect user - Start and run Retrospect manually (ie. not through RetroRun automation). Do not log out

2. NO ERRORS - Run as terminal services session - Start and run Retrospect manually (ie. not through RetroRun automation). Do not log out.

3. NO ERRORS - Start Terminal Services session and disconnect (ie. do not log out) - Let RetroRun start the Retrospect automatically in the TS session.

4. ERRORS - No logged in user session (either via direct or TS) - Let RetroRun start Retrospect as a background process. It's this senario thats causes the problems

Ideally, I do not want to have any logged in users (either as a TS session or direct) as its both a security risk and also consumes unnecessary resources. However, it appears that Retrospect needs a fully-logged in user environment in order to work without getting any errors.

Thanks,

Rich.

Hi Richard -

I just tried this again exactly as you outlined:

1. Setup a user named "Retrospect"

2. Added user to groups:

Administrators

Backup Operators

Domain Admins

Domain Users

Enterprise Admins

3. Set Retrotpsect to run as that user and relaunched to confirm change

4. Set up a script to backup the Exchange Server and Exchange Mailboxes in 2 minutes

5. Quit Retrospect

6. Logged out

7. Waited for backup to complete and logged in

8. Launched Retrospect and checked Ops Log > No errors

I don't have AntiVirus, but I also agree that this probably isn't relevant. I was originally testing writing to a local drive, but then tried a network drive also. No problems there either.

I'm going to shoot a PM to your mailbox.

Amy

Hi Rich -

Thanks for the additional logging. Unfortunately it did not provide any additional useful error messaging. Error -2,147,467,259 translates into Hex FFFFFFFF80004005 which, when looked up (as error 80004005) is an "Unspecified error" by Microsoft.

I found the following information on the Microsoft site:

Troubleshooting Guide for 80004005 errors in Active Server Pages and Microsoft Data Access Components

Nothing referenced seemed to apply specifically to your situation. I did enable OMA on my Exchange Box since you indicated that you have it enabled and there is a dependency on ASP.net, but I was still unable to generate the errors you're seeing.

Since the data is being backed up properly it is likely the errors are extraneous debug logging that should be suppressed or better mapped. It is possible that this is an actual bug in Retrospect, but it is also possible that the update has exposed an existing problem on your system. Make sure you run Microsoft Update and get all the latest patches and give your system a reboot when you get a chance. If you'd like to open a support case with Retrospect Technical Support the support ticket cost would be refunded it the problem did indeed turn out to be a bug in Retrospect.

Thanks,

Amy

AmyJ,

Well, I'm stunned - it does actually look like it was a Retrospect bug (or more probably extraneous debugging being left on)

I decided tonight as the .320 update has just been released to just see if applying it made any difference.

I did the following:

1. Used Retrospect to "Download" the update and saved it to a directory

2. Closed Retrospect and ran the installer/upgrader manually. Note: I did not run the upgrade from within Retrospect using the "install update" facility. I did it this way, because last time I did use the Retrospect install update facility and I was just trying to test something else at the same time.

3. The installer completed. I rebooted the server as requested by the installer

4. Ran my test script as above without a logged in user - NO ERRORS!!!

HOPEFULLY THATS THE END OF IT........

I intend to let Retrospect run under it original script and usual backup processes tonight and I'll post the results tomorrow........

Here's hoping......

Thanks,

Rich.

AmyJ,

Well good news!! Yes, it appears that the "normal" scheduled backups had the same effect. I let Retrospect "automatically" start itself as a background process and there was NO ERRORS!!!! FANTASTIC NEWS!!!!

To answer your question - Yes, the server had been rebooted when the 7.5.285 update was applied and also rebooted as a test. It was one of the first things I tried.

The only two things that I can put this down to is either:

1. The way I applied the update this time ie. running it manually as apposed to inside Retrospect. I doubt this is going to be the issue as I imagine the Retrospect install button just executes the update installer anyway.

2. Retrospect 7.5.320 has had some debugging disabled since 7.5.285.

Absolutely nothing else has been changed.

Anyway, it appears the problem is solved!!!! At least I'm not going to get anymore grief from the Boss now :-)

MANY THANKS TO EVERYBODY (INPARTICULAR AMYJ) WHO HAS CONTRIBUTED TO THIS THREAD........ Its really refreshing to see so many people willing to chip in with thoughts and suggestions. Really appreciated.

Thanks,

Rich.

Archived