Cannot Delete Mailboxes

Hello,

We are having a problem with deleting mailboxes from the Mailboxes Volume. The mailboxes we are trying to remove from the Exchange Mailboxes Volume were recently deleted from the mail server. We were told that they would automatically be removed when the backup sets were overwritten, but this has not happened.

How do we remove the mailboxes that no longer exist? And is it possible to correct this problem so that in the future deleted mailboxes are automatically removed?

Thanks!

Hi -

Are the Exchange Server and Backup Server on the same box, or is the Exchange Server a client?

Was the mailbox actually purged (not just deleted) from Exchange or does it still exist in the System Manager with a red x? You can manually purge it by right-clicking on the box in the System Manager. I believe the default time before Exchange automatically purges a box is around 30 days after it was deleted. As long as it is still listed in System Manager Retrospect is receiving information from the Exchange API that the mailbox exists. Please allow time for the changes to replicate.

Amy

"mailboxes were deleted April 18th, and purged on the 19th"

this sounds odd....only 1 day of retention????? default is 30 so

-double check your store settings

-(2k3) use your mailbox recovery center to confirm that there is no pending deletions

-run a mailbox cleanup agent on mailboxes

-manually push RUS

-make backup on a new tape and then comapare

All the best!

I ran the mailbox cleanup agent and then checked in Retrospect under Volumes. The deleted mailboxes are still listed there. Also, the purge was performed manually one day after the deletion - we did not wait for it to be done automatically after 30 days. I also tried updating the RUS but noticed no change. Any more advice?

• 4 weeks later...

I had exactly the same problem.

I am running Exchange 2003 SP2 and Retrospect 7.5.285.

Deleted a couple of mailboxes after they had been backed up.

Purged mailboxes in Exchange Server.

Mailboxes still existed in Retrospect Volumes and were causing Error -1121 whenever the proactive backup ran.

I hope retrospect fixes this.

Cheers.

• 6 months later...

Thanks for your reply AmyJ.

Actually I have run the Clean Up Agent and purged the mail boxes in the Exchange Server. There is no mail box with a red x in the System Manager.

Will Rectrospect Server wait for a little time even though the mail box is really purged in the Exchange? Or how could I tell Rectrospect Server to "refresh" the client so that it won't try to access the deleted mail box any more?

Really Thanks!! Because this problem has troubled me for about a month!!!

Tony

Hi Tony -

Go to Configure > Volumes

Highlight the deleted mailboxes and hit "Forget"

If there are references to these mailboxes in a known backup set or script they will not automatically disappear.

Hope that helps!

Amy

Hi AmyJ,

You mean that suppose I have a mail box of "Tony" is Exchange Server, and I have been backing-up the Server already.

Now I delete and purge the mail box in Exchange Server, then I have to manual go Rectrospect Server -> Configure -> Volumes to forget the mail box "Tony"? Then later the backup job won't try to back mail box "Tony" any more, is it?

REALLY REALLY THANKS!!!

Tony

Archived