I'm not having much luck here...

jishaq

I purchased and used Retrospect 6.5 Professional for Windows, and I was trying to get it to work on my network:

A) Windows XPSP2 file server with 500GB USB hard drive, running Norton AntiVirus 2006

B) 1 Windows XPSP2 client on same workgroup, running Norton AntiVirus 2004

I installed the latest version of the server I had (6.5.350) on A, and then installed the latest client I had on B. When I attempted to add A) as a source, Retrospect gave me an error -530, something about not finding the client. Digging around on the Knowledgebase didn't get me anywhere... I have the Windows Firewall disabled on both computers, I added ports 497 TCP and UDP to the port exclusions list of both A) and B)'s Windows Firewall settings. Then, I added the Retrospect.exe to the program exclusions list on A). Still, same error (many reboots inbetween). Finally, I tried adding Retrospect.exe to the exclusions list in NAV2006 Internet Worm blocking thing. Still, no go.

I have Windows networking working fine between these two computes. I can ping them by host name or IP, and I have network drives successfully mapped between the two.

After completely uninstalling the 6.5 server on A and client on B, I downloaded the 7.5 trial and installed it (server on A, client on B) just now, in hopes that it worked a little better for me. When I launched the freshly-installed 7.5 server on A), the splash screen goes away and the main application window opens, and I get "Retrospect has encountered a serious error: A log of this error has been written to the file "assert_log.utx". Dismissing this, I get an upgrade wizard, "You are upgrading Retrospect", that demands a license code to continue.

The log file indicates retrorun.exe failed due to an access violation:

OS: Windows XP version 5.1 (build 2600), Service Pack 2, (32 bit)

Application: C:\Program Files\Retrospect\Retrospect 7.5\retrorun.exe,

Exception occurred on 7/8/2006 at 12:27:34 AM

Exception code: C0000005 ACCESS_VIOLATION

Fault address: 004091E3 0001:000081E3 retrorun.exe

Next, I come online for support because I must say I've tried it all. I discover the only support offerings are this forum (or I can pay for support, I'm sure), and that there is no email support availble to me. Please help.

Thank you,

-Jeff

Quote:

I installed the latest version of the server I had (6.5.350) on A, and then installed the latest client I had on B. When I attempted to add A) as a source, Retrospect gave me an error -530, something about not finding the client

I'm just another user who doesn't drop by too often but let me at least commisserate that Retrospect is confusing, difficult to use, and far from perfected - so don't feel too bad. Also, if you know well the following, then just ignore it.

You were a little unclear as to exactly where you had your problem.

During installation, you install the server and client s/w on the server and client machines, respectively.

You then use the main Retrospect program's Clients tab to find and define your client.

You then create a backup "set" whose "Source" field specifies volumes/folders to backup from the local machine or on a client you previously set up with the Clients tabs.

So, where in the above process did you get the client error and had you successfully completed all the previous steps.

Re your versions, some here would not recommend upgrading a registered version to the trial. I suggest a complete uninstall of all versions and reinstall just the version (older registered or newer trial) that you want to use or test. Don't forget to note your legal copy's license number, ha! cool.gif

Hope that helps.

You need to "ADD" the "Client" using the "Configuration" menu on the left pane.

First make sure you have the "Retrospect Client" program installed on the other computer(s) you want to backup. This is different from the full version of Retrospect and is on your setup CD. After you install the client software on your other computer(s) go to your host computer (with full version of retrospect) and...

Click on Configuration, then Clients, then on the Add button. Retrospect will scan your network for client computers.

You will probably need to tell your firewall to allow the software network access while the scan is running.

After that you should see a Clients area on the backup source menue.

Hope this helps.

David Witteried

Hi Jeff,

If you got error -530 while attempting to add a client then you were probably trying to add via ip address. Am I right about this? If so, then you'll probably want to attempt to add the client via multicast unless you've configured your two machines to use static IP addresses.

I've seen scenarios where firewall exceptions will report being active, but the listed ports continue to be blocked anyway. You might try disabling whatever firewall you have in place to see if you can add the client at that point.

Archived