IMPROVE disaster recovery (7.5 MULTI), booting with mini Windows, (Bart) PE o light linux version

Why to wait after install all the windows xp, standard process

DISASTER RECOVERY means EMERGENCY, URGENT, NO TIME TO WAIT

better if i boot from a small windows or linux from a boot cd,

and load the esential services, like netbios, network card drivers, video, ip address or

retrospect server name, credentials of the desktop or notebook owners,

and then via network and retrospect python agent, conect to server and download

the instance o my total restore,

maybe you will need a partition manager utility, and other services

• 1 month later...

Unfortunately, BartPE isn't supported officially by any large companies, though it is a great environment. However, I can see EMC/Insignia supporting Microsoft's preinstallation environment. However for people to get a copy of Windows PE, they need a Software Assurance package. frown.gif

• 4 weeks later...

Quote:

Unfortunately, BartPE isn't supported officially by any large companies, though it is a great environment. However, I can see EMC/Insignia supporting Microsoft's preinstallation environment. However for people to get a copy of Windows PE, they need a Software Assurance package.
frown.gif

Actually, that's not true. Many apps come with a Bart's PE plugin, including Acronis True Image, for instance.

However, I don't think Maynor was referring to a Bart plugin, but saying that the disaster recovery CD should be able to boot to its own OS, rather than being a Windows install CD (as it is).

I agree with him totally. (A Bart plugin would be nice as well.) It would certainly be nice, in case of an inability to boot normally, to boot from the CD into its own environment, and from there do a Retrospect Restore. It seems like the disaster recovery CDs from most backup programs include that feature, for example Norton Ghost (which uses a version of Linux in its DR CD), and (again) Acronis True Image. Neither boots to Barts PE, they use their own PE.

To me the DR feature of Retrospect is poor in comparison, where one boots to a Windows install prompt, have to reinstall Windows, etc. Much better if one could just boot to the CD, and from there run Retrospect.

I hope the programmers consider that.

Archived