Problem with Run as Specified User

Using Small Business Standard V7.0.344 on SBS 2003 SP1.

I'm trying to establish the setting 'Always run Retrospect as the specified user', so that I can run unattended Exchange backups. I've created the user as detailed in the documentation. When I make this setting I get the following problems:

1. If I attempt to start Retrospect whilst logged on at the server as anyone other than the specified user then it hangs on application startup. The screen comes up by everything stays grayed out. (It does work ok if I logon via Remote Desktop Connection).

2. Unattended scripts don't run. If, after a while, I log in as the specified user then I see two Retrospect applications in 'Not Responding' state.

I've tried the following procedure, to no avail:-

1. Logon as RetrospectBackupUser

2. Start Retrospect, Set Retrospect to run as the logged in user, Close Retrospect.

3. Logon as Administrator

4. Start Retrospect, Turn off Launcher, Close Retrospect.

5. Re-boot server

6. Logon as Administrator

7. Start Retrospect, Turn on Launcher, Close Retrospect.

8. Re-boot server.

9. Logon as Administrator.

10. Start Retrospect, Set Retrospect to run as the specified user, Close Retrospect.

11. Logon as another Backup Operator

12. Start Retrospect - hangs with "Starting..." bottom left.

Hi,

Do scripts launch correctly if Retrospect is set to 'run as the logged in user?'

Can you verify the permissions on the directory path for the configuration files - C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Retrospect? I'm not positive but I believe the Everyone group has full control on the All Users directory and subfolders.

>> Do scripts launch correctly if Retrospect is set to 'run as the logged in user?'

Yes they do, but no use for Exchange.

>> Can you verify the permissions on the directory path for the configuration files - C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Retrospect?

This has Full Control for Administrators and Backup Operators.

A bit more information. The server in question has recently been restored from a Retrospect backup. The old version is still bootable by swappking drives and doesn't have the same problem.

I tried with a fresh pair of configuration files to see if that would help - it didnt.

When you logon via Remote Desktop Connection the logged on user shows in the top bar, not the specified user.

No this is all to do with running Retrospect directly on the server. Specifically this direction from the manual hangs the app:

"Verifying Proper Operation

Log in to the backup computer as a user who is a member of Backup Operators. Launch Retrospect and take note of its application window title, which includes the user the application is running as. Though you are logged in to the backup computer as a different user, the "user" running the application is the Retrospect backup user account."

The only time it doesn't hang is if you manually stop the Retrospect Launcher service before you start Retrospect.

This problem occurs irrespective of whether "Run in the Terminal Services session" is ticked in the specified user definitions or not.

hi john,

i hate to beat a dead horse, but if you are running Retrospect *only* from the console (never with Terminal Services) then why make comments like:

Quote:

When you logon via Remote Desktop Connection the logged on user shows in the top bar, not the specified user.

and:

Quote:

This problem occurs irrespective of whether "Run in the Terminal Services session" is ticked in the specified user definitions or not.

at best, you leave the reader confused. i'd like to help (and will if i can) but honestly you are confusing me as to how you have set this up.

Because it may shed some light on the cause of the problem.

Let me try and be more specific. With specified user set:

On the server it hangs if you try and run Retrospect as another backup operator

From terminal services it runs, but you don't see the specified user at the top as it should.

Here's some more information about the state of play once it has hung:

The Taskbar shows on Retrospect task, but Applications in Windows Task Manager shows two. Right click on these and select Go To Process and you get:-

Retrospect.exe - RBU (fair enough)

explorer.exe - logged-in user (huh?)

Archived