Slow snapshots/backups

We bought Retrospect Multi-server 7.0 (the current version at that time). Updated it to 7.0.344 with update 7.0.12.105. We just got around to using it. Previously, we were using Backup Exec 9. We have everything working, but we’re shocked to see that incremental backups are taking over 12 hours on our main server. With Backup Exec, an incremental backup would typically take about half an hour.

Some more information for you:

The server is running Windows Server 2003.

We’re backing up about 350gb of data, but less than 1gb changes each day.

The source drives are 6 SCSI drives on RAID 5.

The destination drive is an external FireWire drive.

The raw data throughput when I copy files from on drive to the other is about 20mb/sec.

I saw something in your FAQs about disabling backing up of NTFS security information, so we did. It didn’t help.

According to the log, almost all the time is spent idle/loading/preparing.

During the backup, the scanning phase is fast, the building snapshot phase is slow, and the backup phase is fast.

We’re using Retrospect’s software compression, since we’re backing up to disk.

We’re doing a normal backup to a disk volume (not a file volume).

The server has two 2.8ghz Intel Xeon CPUs.

We’d really appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Doesn't disabling snapshots make it so that restoring individual files takes hours (probably at least 12, for us)? That seems like it makes Retrospect practically unusable.

Do incremental backups still work?

Will the disk volume grooming continue to function?

The option Execution - Matching - Match source volumes to Catalog File (determine which files are already in the Backup Set), along with the documentation implies that incremental backups don't work without catalog files. Am I misunderstanding something?

Hi,

The catalog file is the .rbc file which contains sessions and snapshots. A snapshot is a picture of the source at the time of backup.

I wasn't suggesting you permanently turn off snapshots, I was just making a suggestion to help you try to determine why the backup is taking such a long time to process. Unless you have an incredibly large number of files in that 350GB of backup, or a complex folder structure, I'm not really sure why it would take so long to get through the idle/loading/preparing phases. My thinking is this: if we can figure out where the problem lies, that should make it easier to figure out why you're having the problem.

Over 12 hours for an incremental backup, which took close to 30 mintues with Backup Exec. We have permission off. Oddly, turning permissions on doesn't affect performance at all. It makes me question whether the no permissions optimization is working as described by the docs and FAQs.

Specificially, the permissions options I'm talking about are:

Backup Options - Windows - Security - Back up server security information and Backup up workstation security information.

Since the upgrade to 7.5 is expensive, I'm concerned about shelling out the money, because 7.0 isn't supposed to have this problem, either. It's especially frustrating, considering we recently bought 7.0. I'm worried that 7.5 won't fix it, and we'll be out another chunk of cash that perhaps should be going to Backup Exec remote server licenses. We switched to Retrospect in the first place in order to avoid per-server licensing.

Will the trial work as a temporary upgrade? Will it keep my scripts and settings? I saw this on the trial page:

Please Note:

Do not download evaluation software for an EMC Insignia product if you are already a licensed user of that product. In order to upgrade your retail version of an EMC Insignia product, please proceed to the Upgrade page or contact your local EMC Insignia reseller.

Hi,

They put up that notice to avoid existing customers generating sales leads by signing up for the trial.

When you install the trial it should uninstall 7.0 for you. The configuration files for 7.0 will remain in place, and 7.5 will import whatever settings are there to a new set of configuration files. If you want to rollback to 7.0 you can just uninstall 7.5 and reinstall 7.0. The program will launch like it was never gone.

For reference, or if you want to make a backup of your configs just in case, they can be located at C:/Documents and Settings/All Users/Application Data/Retrospect.

• 2 weeks later...

Quote:

Will the trial work as a temporary upgrade? Will it keep my scripts and settings? I saw this on the trial page:

Please Note:

Do not download evaluation software for an EMC Insignia product if you are already a licensed user of that product. In order to upgrade your retail version of an EMC Insignia product, please proceed to the Upgrade page or contact your local EMC Insignia reseller.

Any response to this? Is it safe for us to install the 7.5 trial?

Archived