Multi-client dupl. avoidance

Clyde

As a relative newbie, I may be off base with this, but....

Extend Retrospect's "incremental" strategy (avoiding duplicate files in a backup set) to work across multiple clients. This would make backing up hundreds of clients a real possibility, using a far more reasonable size (and thus cost-effective) media library.

Example:

I create a script with 3 computers. Each computer has 2 hard disks, for a total of 6 disks.

Retrospect copies data from disk #1 on client #1.

Before copying data from disk #2 on client #1, all the previously copied data is compared (matched) against disk #1. Only unique items are copied.

Before copying Disk #1 on Client #2, Retrospect compares (matches) the disk contents against all previously copied data in the backup set. Only unque items are copied. The process continues for all disks on all drives.

This has not been my experience to date, using scripts that include the "Backup Clients" container. Otherwise identical files, e.g. c:\windows\notepad.exe, that exist on several computers are backed up once per client. What might I be doing wrong?

• 2 weeks later...

Retrospect uses several matching criteria to find new or changed files. If one of the criteria has been changed, Retrospect will back up the file again. On Windows, Retrospect looks at creation date and time, modified date and time, size and name.

From Retrospects Configure Voluumes, locate a sample file on one client and Get Properties on it. Then locate the file on another volume and Get Properties on it. Compare these windows and look for any differences.

Also be sure that the "Match only same location" option in your script (Automate: Scripts: Options) is not set, and that all matching options are set to the default.

Irena Solomon

Dantz Tech Support

Archived